The tendency to seek external validation is a common habit among all of us, but what's more important is the deep-seated faith we have in our own abilities to overcome all obstacles and achieve the lives we want for ourselves. In the initial meeting between Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow, I was struck by the moment in which Daenerys revealed what made her a survivor, what pushed her to keep moving forward despite all that she faced:

"I spent my life in foreign lands, so many men have tried to kill me I don't remember all their names. I have been sold like a brute mare, I have been shamed and betrayed, raped and defiled. Do you know what kept me standing during all those years of exile? Faith. Not in any gods, not in myths and legends, in myself. In Daenerys Targaryen."

None of my struggles are comparable to those of Daenerys Targaryen, yet I found myself spiraling into a helpless state of self-pity when my world seemed to crumble around me. I heard that little voice in the back of my head tell me nothing will ever work out, nothing is worth it in the end. This was because I didn't have faith in myself--I believed that the world was too much for me and I wouldn't be able to handle it without falling to pieces.

Yet here I am. I should have more faith in myself, after all, that's happened. With each obstacle I overcome, my strength increases at an exponential rate. The fact that I survived all that I survived shouldn't wear me down, but rather show that I can handle whatever comes my way.

Thinking about that moment as long as I have, I progressively made small changes that built on each other to instill a faith in myself I never imagined possible. I am more aware of the urge to seek external validation in lieu of the internal, but I keep pushing for a stronger sense of belief in my capabilities.