The Best Gift On Christmas: Troops Coming Home

No one should spend their Christmas in the chow hall.

15
Blogspot

Surrounded by the happiness of the holidays and the warmth of the crackling firewood, Christmas has always seemed to be a magical time of the year. Families come together during a season where giving is much more appreciated than receiving. Everyone has their own little tradition, but it’s those quirky moments of hot chocolate mustaches that make Christmas special.

However, it is disheartening that certain people aren’t blessed with the opportunity to spend Christmas with their loved ones. Those serving the country have a commitment, making it difficult to enjoy the simple pleasures, such as opening presents around the Christmas tree. I understand it’s what they enlisted into; it’s their job title, so in a sense it’s expected. That still doesn’t diminish the reminder that they are sacrificing a holiday so sacred to us as they’re fighting for our country. Often people, unless directly affected by it, don’t seem to fuss about these men venturing home to their families. Yet, there are so many protests pertaining to grocery stores and department stores opening their doors during the holiday. I completely understand, but if it’s an issue for those individuals at Walmart, shouldn’t it be the same for those that have such a significant importance and contribution to our nation?

With that being said, it is crucial to take time to appreciate the troops that continually uphold the freedom we have to enjoy Christmas. Certain troops are stranded with their responsibilities and others are fortunate to visit their family. Despite the circumstances, people should recognize the importance of our soldiers and know the hardships they’ve endured to provide us with what we have, especially on Christmas.

It shouldn’t just be Christmas when we recognize our troops, though. Yes, there are holidays to commemorate our fallen soldiers but it doesn’t seem nearly enough. As freedoms and privileges are given so easily in America, it is easy to forget how lucky we are to live in such an amazing country. Especially with the turmoil occurring now, there are many issues our country clearly needs to address. Despite these issues. America soldiers fight for human rights that other countries aren’t blessed to have. Therefore, it is imperative that we appreciate the troops serving our country -- not merely missing Christmas, but the sleepless nights, countless hours of combat, and the wretched conditions of war. Americans have taken our soldiers for granted.

As the Christmas season spreads joy, cherishing those who’ve done the most is truly rewarding. Focusing on all of the privileges we’ve been given, will give us a greater appreciation for those who secure them. Soldiers have poured their blood, sweat, and tears into the country they love; their patriotism is extraordinary. As a country, it is our responsibility to support the troops as much as they protect us. Similarly, as a member of a family, people should have empathy and understand those that can’t have a Christmas holiday.

During the season of Christmas, admire those troops that are too humble and modest to admit their dedication to our country.