If You're Lucky, You'll Love Your Roommates As Much As I Love Mine

They are the best friends anyone could possibly ask for in college.

346
Sam Margolis

Before I even applied to college, I was so scared that I would not get along with my future roommates once we moved in together. This is a common fear among incoming freshmen as they prepare to embark on their new journey as college students, but honestly, if you play your cards right, you'll end up gaining lifelong best friends, as I did.

Living with someone is entirely different than just being friends with them. You have to share pretty much everything with the people you choose to live with, not to mention that you have to sleep in the same room with the same person every single night.

There are many ways that this can turn problematic rather quickly, so that is why you have to plan accordingly before you even move into your dorm or apartment to make sure you're all on the same page when it comes to the expectations of your living situation.

This can be in regard to what time you go to sleep, whether you're a clean or messy person, or if you prefer partying over a quiet night in.

Luckily, my roommates and I formed a close bond over social media prior to our freshman year, and this relationship only grew stronger once we actually moved in. When the three of us met in person for the first time, we immediately clicked, as if we had been best friends for years already. We all have the same sense of humor and similar taste in TV shows and music, which is always something I look for in new friends.

From midnight runs to 7-Eleven to taking spontaneous trips to Center City, my roommate Anna and suite-mate Elise have always been right there to do literally anything with. Almost every night during the first semester, we would stay up really late playing various card games for hours while listening to music, laughing about absolutely nothing, and ordering Chinese food we could never afford.

A huge perk of having your best friends as roommates is that you can see them whenever you want. If I ever need someone to watch a movie with or to go grab food with, Elise is right next-door and Anna is two feet away. When I was so sick that I couldn't get out of bed, Elise brought me Gatorade and cookies so I didn't have to walk all the way to the store in the cold.

When Anna and I were really bored during the winter, we binge-watched almost all of Glee on Netflix even though we have both seen it numerous times.

I didn't think I would become this close with anyone again after graduating high school, especially after several of my best friends moved away for college. I knew I wouldn't be seeing them for a long time which made me really sad, but having Anna and Elise by my side definitely made the transition from high school to college way easier.

The close, intimate bond we share is everything I could have hoped for and more.

I wouldn't trade this kind of friendship for anything in the world. I'm so lucky to have found such kindhearted, caring, and hilarious people to live with during my first year at college.