Best Friends: A Parable Of Humility

Best Friends: A Parable Of Humility

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18 NIV

491
Best Friends: A Parable Of Humility
pexels

Some years ago, born in two loving Christian homes were baby girls, each weighing six pounds and six ounces. The parents raised each child to love and revere God, respect authority, and to understand the importance of learning as much as they could about many different subjects. The girls attended the same church and schools. They were best friends and inseparable.

Immediately after graduating from high school, they both began college courses that very summer. Quickly they realized college life and living away from the safety of their parents was a lot different than what they were accustomed. They were both determined to stay away from every bad influence and remember all that they learned from church and their parents. So, they did just that. After excelling in both undergraduate and graduate schools, they were hired by a prominent law firm. It did not take long for both of them to outshine all other attorneys and make partner after only three years. They worked very hard and were determined to be the best. They spent endless nights researching cases and practicing for trials. Their names were well known in their industry.

One summer day during an annual board meeting, the senior partners thought it was an excellent idea to feature some of their work. They were asked to provide a powerpoint deck with career highlights. However, what the girls did not know was that the senior partners had one opening for a senior position. It was impossible to choose between the two based on work performance or character. The senior partners wanted to understand who they were and what they believed. The instructions were simple. Tell us: Why do you perform with such a high level of excellence?

Both girls embraced the assignment and began drafting a master document. The final presentation was due in one week. Both were encouraged and confident that their individual efforts would receive outstanding recognition.

The day came and the girls were ready.

Girl One presented just one slide. On it was written: “Seek the Kingdom of God[a] above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” Matthew 6:33

She summarized the question asked by stating. “I perform with such a high level of excellence because I was raised in a loving home with God fearing parents. They taught me the importance of revering, obeying and loving God. But most importantly, I learned from church studies that God is the author and finisher of my fate. It is because of him that I have a desire to serve him and work hard to perfect my craft.” She said a polite “thank you.” and walked to her seat.

Girl Two spent the next hour and twenty slides detailing at length her education, revenue she earned for the firm, a list of late nights and weekends working to research every law and judgment that won all of her cases. In her conclusion, she boasted “I am an asset to this law firm. I am constantly approached by other firms to join their team. However, for now, I choose to work for you.” Finally, she thanked all that listened and took her seat.

Senior partners did not take long to make a decision. They all nodded to each other signaling the choice was made and final. Then one of the senior partners began to speak. Thank you very much for your time today. We have an announcement. We have an opening for one senior position. We asked you both here today to gain more insight and to discover which of you would be the right fit.

Girl Two smiled and grew happy inside. She thought, “surely after that extensive explanation of my credentials I am the best candidate.” Girl One said, “Lord, I accept your will.”

“Congratulations Girl One on your promotion to senior partner.”

Just then Girl Two remembered the following:

“For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” - Matthew 23:12