To My Best Friend Who Is Studying Abroad This Semester

I'm not ready for you to leave.

36

I have been dreading this Thursday since you told me about your upcoming departure back in August.

Every time it is mentioned, I deflect because I don’t want to talk about it. Whenever you speak the words “February 16th," I yell at you or shut the conversation down. It is because my heart sinks at the thought of you leaving and I would much rather live in the moment. It isn’t because I am not happy for you. It’s because I truly do not know what I will do without you. Two and a half months isn’t a long time. Then again, think about this: Imagine spending that much time apart from your significant other… Eternity right?! This is basically the same thing.

You are the bravest and most strong-willed human being I have ever met. You have inspired me to embrace my own independence. As a result of our friendship, I have grown in a way that would have never happened if it weren’t for you. I look at you for guidance and follow your lead when I’m too scared of change. You have made Charleston home for me. You are the only person who can make me smile if you wake me up unannounced too early in the morning.

The two of us have fought through the sh*t storm that has hit us together, side by side. I am as strong as I am because of you. I embrace the world in a positive manner because of you. You have changed me in more ways than I can even fathom. And because of the strength that you have taught me, I know I can make it through the rest of the semester while you’re killing it in Cuba.

Thank you for being the opposite of me in so many ways and breaking me out of my dungeon. I would also like to thank you for giving into my insanity and staying in my cave with me when I refuse to come out. You put up with my crazy and I am forever grateful. You also know exactly how to make me shut up, which is a talent. You have taught me how to go with the flow and embrace the speed bumps. You honestly are a magician in everything you do. Your determination and drive has been beyond influential to me. You never stop searching and I admire how inquisitive you are.

Because of your spark, you have pushed me to want to become more.

It breaks my heart to think about you not sporadically and spontaneously showing up at my apartment. Yet, I glisten at the thought of you exploring your heritage that you hold so close to your heart. This is something we have talked about for so long and you deserve to have the trip of a lifetime. I know for a fact that you are going to blow the entire population of Cuba away with your enticing attitude and sense of style.

I love you more than words can say, and I know Cuba won't want to let you go. I just hope you don’t show up late and miss your flight.