A story about the struggles of being gay and being in love with your best friend.

Fiction on Odyssey: I Love You, Emily

It's so difficult to your best friend that you're in love with them, especially when you're both girls.

10
https://www.pexels.com/photo/photo-of-woman-in-a-sunflower-field-906002/

Her warm, gentle hands were only inches away. With just one movement, I could've told her the four words that itched to be release from my throat's captivity. The four words that I've cried and whispered in self-pity over a million times. The four words that could either burn down worlds in an explosion of amber or build a magnificent utopia of pure happiness.

It was so absurd how the most simple of words could ultimately change so much. Every minute the four words were left unsaid, the more it poisoned my heart and strangled my throat. Despite the pain of unsaid feelings, the possibility of my almost-perfect, little world collapsing cluttered my mind with doubt and fogged my eyes with crystal shards.

I am a coward. All I had to do was take her hand and tell her how beautiful and reassuring her smile, that salvaged me from gutters of depression and loneliness, truly was. I swear, no angel in the heavens above could ever rival the softness of her kind heart. It gleamed in the golden shower of perfection. Humanity deserves no kindness such as hers, yet she bestowed the gift upon me. It is because of her care for others that makes telling her my feelings so much more difficult.

I know she would never turn me away with disgust; it's just the type of person she is. I don't want to be the monster who ruins our beautiful friendship. However, if I keep continuing this lie, it'll rot my soul and chip away at my withering heart. The one who picked me up and put my broken pieces back together will become the one who destroys me forever. I am so greedy. She gave me friendship, love and kindness, yet I desired more.

I was so caught up in my emotions, I didn't hear a word she spoke, except for that ghastly last phrase: "He's so cute."

"What…?" I felt my small ray of hope grow dimmer.

"Elliot. He asked me out." With that one sentence, my heart was butchered, and the tears couldn't be silenced any longer. I felt my body breaking and what was left of my wounded heart decaying. Finally, the day came. She had rejected me, but the saddest part was I didn't even get the chance to utter the four words that pushed me off the staggering cliff.

Of course, her angelic heart ran frantic at the sight of my tears. She held me and told me everything would be fine, not knowing that she caused the geyser of tears. Not thinking of the massive destruction my words could cause, I finally said the once held back, four words: "I love you, Emily."

As her tight and protective embrace softened, the only thing she said was "Oh."