My Best Friend Derek

My Best Friend Derek

Not everyone has a happy ending

95
My Best Friend Derek

“I have nothing to apologize for,” his cold, dead eyes looked in mine. He was being completely honest and yet he was lying.

“Every word in that statement is false. You have everything to apologize for!” I motioned to the burning forest around me while trying to be heard over the roaring flames.

“You see, my dear Annabeth, what is damage in your eyes is a necessity for rebuilding in mine. This will all be burnt to the ground this time tomorrow and that is when I will introduce my plan for the city’s rebirth. I will emerge the hero saving the town and if you try to stop me, it will be your downfall,” he stalked around me, smiling from ear to ear explaining his master plan.

“What happened to you, Derek? What twisted you to be so evil?” I asked legitimately wanting an answer.

“I don’t know what you mean. I’ve always wanted to save this city. There once was a time when you wanted to do the same,” He started walking away turning his back on the conversation and what was once his best friend.

* * * * *

I wonder what made him so evil. He burnt down an entire city. Many lives were lost and he didn’t even feel like he was in the wrong. Perhaps it was something I did, or didn’t do.

Twenty years ago,

“I want to save the city someday. I want it to be one of the things I do before I die. This place is full of horrible people and the good ones will soon be endangered by criminals,” Derek confesses to me as we’re walking down an alley on our way home from school.

“I think we should do it together. Two heads are better than one after all,” I agree with Derek.

“Yeah. That’s smart. Then the work could be split up and the rebuilding wouldn’t take as long.”

We got to our street and went our separate ways into our neighboring houses. I thought about what it might take to rebuild a city and also what might be required to demolish it without hurting people or their homes.

I woke to the sound of yelling from next door. I was always told to cover my ears and try to fall back asleep. This time I wanted to know what was going on. I walked outside and sneaked over to the house next door near where the arguing was. I saw Derek’s mom and dad arguing in the kitchen. Suddenly, his dad swings his fist toward Derek’s mother. I watch her fall to the ground and Derek rush to her side before jumping up and punching his dad.

I started to see blood on his knuckles when he pulled his arm back before hitting his father again and I rushed inside to stop him from doing something he might regret.

“Derek! Stop! Don’t do it!” I shout rushing in from the back door.

I was too late. Derek’s dad’s head slumps to the side completely battered and unrecognizable.

Derek gets up off the floor to check on his mother.

“Goddamnit! I was too late to save her! I’ve got nothing now,” Derek sits on his heels, his head in his hands and beginning to sniffle.

“You’re wrong, Derek. You have me and my family will help you out. Don’t worry we’ll figure this out.”

“No! Both my parents are dead. The whole point was for me and my mom to run away from my dad because he was abusing us, but the cops wouldn’t do anything. I killed my dad, Annabeth. I will go to jail if the cops catch me. I can’t stay.”

“Don’t do this, Derek. Don’t go. We can help. We’ll figure this out.”

“No, Annabeth, this isn’t something that can be remedied. I’m leaving tonight. Whether or not you come with me, is entirely your choice,” Derek starts rushing around his house, stuffing things into a bag.

“I can’t go with you. I have to stay with my family.”

“That’s fine. I guess this is goodbye then,” he hesitates a little before enveloping me in a hug.

“We’ll see each other again someday, Derek. Be safe.” At that Derek rushes off into the night and I sneak back into my room.