10 Dorm Foods I SWEAR By, As A College First-Year

Because running to the dining hall between classes is hard.

11

Cafeteria lunches are notoriously inedible, and while most college dining systems exceed expectations, there are sometimes you just can't drag yourself out of your dorm and into the cold for the same meal you've had three times this week already. Especially in Covid times, personalization of a dining plan gets difficult, and options are limited. Thus, it's crucial to keep good food in your dorm, and I've compiled the perfect shopping list for you today.

1. Popcorn

Unsplash

Starting with my all-time favorite snack: popcorn. It's perfect for a movie night with your roommate, or even when you just need a bite to eat. It's surprisingly filling, easy to make, and tastes amazing. Plus, you can even argue that it's healthy, because corn is a vegetable, right?

2. Goldfish

Wikimedia

I cannot stand Cheez-Its but I am a Goldfish supporter for life. They're a perfect snack, and their size means you can eat as many or as few as you like without ever hitting the wrong amount. Not to mention, they taste amazing, and they're easy to sneakily eat in a virtual class.

3. Oreos

Unsplash

If you have a sweet tooth like me, Oreos are a must. They're small and delicious, and just one or two can satisfy a craving for something sweet. Although granted, I do have to stop myself from eating the whole thing in one sitting. They hit the spot for a quick sweet treat, and even though they're best with milk, they're still incredible without.

4. Mac and cheese cups

Amazon

For those of us with classes that cover lunchtime dining hours, Mac and cheese cups are the saving grace. Easily made in the microwave, they're surprisingly tasty, and can be eaten quickly while hurrying to finish that assignment due before the next class. And this way no one skips lunch, because eating is important.

5. Tea

Unsplash

I was going to say coffee and tea, but if you're like me you do not have a coffee maker. Tea is easy and delicious: just heat up the water in the microwave and soak the bag, and before you know it you have a delicious drink without ever leaving your dorm. Plus, it's caffeinated, so you don't have to worry about falling asleep during your eight a.m.

6. Granola bars

Wikipedia

For when you wake up late and miss breakfast (or if you wake up after the dining hall's breakfast closes), granola bars are a saving grace. They tie you over until lunchtime while making sure you still have something for breakfast. Plus, they're delicious, usually healthy, and easily stored. Perfect for a dorm room snack.

7. Ramen

Unsplash

Obviously this list wouldn’t be complete without ramen, Mac and cheese cups’ more popular cousin. Inexpensive, customizable, and delicious, ramen makes sure you get all your meals while giving you the power to switch things up a bit each time. Plus they’re ridiculously easy to make, so its a simple way to tide yourself over until you can go get another meal.

8. Gum

Unsplash

Is this really a snack? No. But it is worth saying. Gum gives a simple way to fidget in class, and there’s the often-told story that chewing gum while learning or studying helps you when taking a test over the material. And there’s so many flavors, its impossible not to find one you like. Just be careful who you open it around, because once one person has gum, everyone wants gum.

9. Fruit Snacks

Wikimedia

I love fruit snacks so maybe this is a biased choice, but they really are a nice way to eat something small and tasty. Plus they come in bright colors and fun shapes. And they have to be good for you - fruit is in the name! It's the perfect little treat when you're not hungry, just bored.

10. That thing that reminds you of home

Unsplash

This is so important, that one little food that gives you some comfort and nostalgia. For me, it's chocolate chips in the fridge (which is the only way to eat them by the way), and every time I snack on a few I feel at ease. Find that food that makes you happy and makes your dorm room really feel like home.

What are your favorite go-to dorm snacks?