Getting The Most Out Of Your College Experience

College isn't meant for everybody, but it should be.

13
Kingsborough Community College

People say that college is a time to reinvent yourself and to explore new possibilities. Half of us don't even know what we want to do with our lives until our junior year of college, or maybe even senior year, and that's okay. Even changing your major six times is okay, too.

Some people start off at a community college (like myself) before going into a four-year school. I think that is the best thing to do if you're still unsure. Some people will knock down community colleges, saying "you're not smart enough to get into a real college" or "community college isn't a real college." Well I've got news for the people who say that: if you're in college at all, then you must have done something right.

A community college is usually two to three years; sometimes people need more than three years, which is also completely okay. I will be finishing my third year in a community college in December and then moving onto my four-year school next spring. I have changed my major three times in three years, which is one of the reasons I'm still in a community college for this long. My first major was theater, my second was education and my third, and current major, is psychology. Three completely different majors that basically have nothing to do with one another. I guess that is college for you in a nutshell.

I give the people props who know from the start what they want to do and stay in that major for the rest of their lives. I for sure thought that theater and acting was going to be my career, but plans don't always work out. Then I thought that being an education major/early childhood was going to be my career until I took an Intro to Psychology class. Now that I am five psychology classes in, I realize that once I get to my four-year school I am changing my major. Again.

I am currently a dance teacher/choreographer at an elementary school, teaching junior high school students. I've also been a competitive dancer all my life. Teaching dance has always been a passion of mine and I have finally decided to choose dance education as my fourth and final major. My hopes are to one day have a dance studio of my own, but for now, teaching in different schools and studios is my life.

When people think of college, they think of going far away to school, partying, drinking and dorming. Well, that's what I thought too at first. But college isn't what it's like in the movies. I never went far away to school or dormed and I never will, even though I used to think I would.

So why is college the best experience of your life?

College is a time when you're finally becoming your own person and finding out who you really are. You are considered an adult and you must act accordingly. You won't have your parents breathing down your neck every night about tests or homework, or have your teachers bugging you for stuff either. Sometimes it's better if they still would, though.

College is also a time when you meet so many new people, whether you're dorming or not. You create so many friendships and these are the ones that you're going to have forever. You will never relate to some people more then you will with your college friends. College is also a time where most people meet their future spouse which makes it even more exciting!

If you are lucky enough to dorm at a school, then you get to experience what it is like having a roommate or two, as well as what it is like to live on your own. You are responsible for keeping your dorm clean (including the bathroom), washing your own clothes and all of your food. Sometimes, that can be stressful—I don't think I could handle doing my own laundry.

College can be fun but can also be the most stressful four (or more) years of your life. You will never have a life changing experience like it and you will always gain something from every class you take and every person you meet. Most people think high school is the best four years of their lives, which it could be, but I believe that college should be better.

College is meant to be a place to find out who you really are and if you can do that, then you already have a bright future. I still have two more years of college and it is the craziest life changing experience for me so far. College is going to be five years for me and that is completely okay. It will the be the fastest four or more years of your life too, and in a blink of an eye, you'll wonder where all that time went.

I hope you take advantage of everything and find yourself. Even the biggest schools can make you feel so small.