5 Chicago Restaurants To Try If You Find Yourself In The Windy City

Don't worry, they're not all pizza!

54
A view of the "Windy City" from the bridge.

The best restaurants to try in Chicago, for the brand new tourist and the seasoned traveler looking for a more unique taste.

1. Lou Malnati's

Almost everyone wants to indulge in this cheesy-goodness!commons.wikimedia.org

Chicago is best known for its pizza, but no one tops Lou Malnati's deep dish pizza. Their deep dish is super thick and has a taste of its own. Elite to their competition with their buttered crust options and layers of fresh mozzarella cheese, you sure can't miss this one!

2. Gene and Jude's Hot Dogs

Gene and Jude's has remained in the same small building for decades!commons.wikimedia.org

Around since 1946, Gene and Jude's has been voted America's #1 Hot Dog. They are busy day and night in their original building with a motto of "No Seats, No Ketchup, No Pretense, No Nonsense." As you order, you get to watch everything made fresh one by one. They serve their dogs and fries fresh to order and together! Don't ask for ketchup, though - they'll frown at you.

3. Rosebud Italian Ristorante

There are many Rosebud locations throughout the Chicagoland area and suburbs, each with a delicious menu.commons.wikimedia.org

For decades, Rosebud has topped the charts for classic Italian food. Their menu consists of a wide variety of Italian classics, from chicken parmesan to rigatoni alla vodka and everything in between. Their restaurants are designed for elegant dining and filled with the most outgoing staff. You can expect leftovers and a full stomach by the time the check comes.

4. Johnnie's Beef

Its almost impossible to resist Johnnie's fresh hotdogs.en.m.wikipedia.org

A classic from the suburbs, Johnnie's Beef is well known for their Italian beef and sausages. To get the full experience, you have to order a combo beef and sausage sandwich with a side of fries and an Italian ice. Although it's a very wet sandwich, it is one of the best Italian beef sandwiches in the Chicagoland area.

5. Portillo's

The inside of Portillo's gives you the feeling you're  back in the simpler times.commons.wikimedia.org

All Chicagoans know the hype around Portillo's and how busy their lines are at all times of the day. From Italian beef to hot dogs, cheese fries to burgers, Portillo's is unique in its taste. My go-to recommendation is the cake shake with a side of cheese fries. The golden gooeyness of their cheese sauce is like no other and my greatest suggestion of all things to try.