Types of Cheese

10 Of The Best Types Of Gooey Deliciousness AKA Cheese

A list of the best cheeses from around the world.

126

Have you ever worked with someone who has an obsession?

Recently, I learned our amazing CS, Marguerite, is obsessed with cheese. Every example post or submission she has shown us recently has included the search term "Cheese." In her honor, I compiled this list of the 10 best kinds of cheese from all over the world.

Do you love cheese as much as we do?

1. Cheddar

Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese Curds and Wheels

c1.staticflickr.com

A creamy almost buttery cheese, Cheddar, is a sharp taste many people enjoy. The funny thing about "Cheddar" is it is one of few unregulated kinds of cheese. As long as the process and ingredients are similar, many types of cheese can be classified as Cheddar.

2. Parmesan

Parmesan Cheese

upload.wikimedia.org

Parmesan is a harder, crumbly cheese used on anything from spaghetti to pizza. It boasts a rich nutty flavor and is sometimes used a binding ingredient in recipes. While not normally melted, it does lend a nice flavor note to sauces!

3. American Cheese

Kraft American Cheese

c1.staticflickr.com

A burger classic, American Cheese, is a processed cheese common to the United States. With a mild, creamy flavor and a soft, melt texture, American Cheese is the perfect thing for grilled cheese sandwiches, burgers, subs, and more.

4. Brie

Brie Cheese Wheel

c1.staticflickr.com

A butter, runny cheese with a soft rind, Brie is one of those acquired tastes. Some people love its mild fruity notes, while other hate the stuff with a passion. I think its good baked in the oven in some foil and then cut open and served with crackers. Its super spreadable and oh so delicious.

5. Feta

Feta Cheese

upload.wikimedia.org

A crumbly, but still melt-worthy, a Greek cheese made from sheep or goat's milk. Feta is another tase some people either love or hate it. I love it on Pizza, in my gyros, and on other Greek-inspired foods, but my mom hates the stuff. With a full flavored, tangy note Feta can be harsher on the palate than other cheeses.

6. Mozzarella

Mozzarella Cheeses

upload.wikimedia.org

Mozzarella is a soft brined Italian staple. It is a stringy, melty cheese Americans know most from it being on their Pizza and in their lasagna. Overall, Mozzarella is a cheese unlike others because it is so versatile. With a classic milk flavor, Mozzarella can be put on any number of yummy foods.

7. Blue Cheese

Blue Cheese

upload.wikimedia.org

Essentially, the land of moldy cheese, blue cheese is a strong flavor many people love. Known for its blue veins and semi-soft texture, Blue Cheese works well in salad dressings, on burgers, in fondue, and in other foods. It comes in many types, some stronger and others milder. Overall, Blue Cheese is one of those cheeses you have to want to eat.

8. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Cheese

c1.staticflickr.com

A semi-firm cheese with a creamy compact texture perfect for slices. Monterey Jack melts into a cheese sandwich beautifully. With a mild, buttery flavor similar to Cheddar, it is a classic cheese many people cannot pass by.

9. Cotija

Cotija Cheese

upload.wikimedia.org

A rindless, firm cheese from Mexico, Cotija is used primarily in tacos, enchiladas, and other Mexican fare. Cotija Cheese has a salty strong flavor and is best compared to Parmesan.

10. Swiss

Swiss Cheese

upload.wikimedia.org

A firm cheese with great melting capabilities, Swiss Cheese is one of my favorites. With a sweet, nutty flavor, Swiss Cheese goes great with almost anything.

Fun fact: The holes are called eyes and happen during the manufacturing process when air enters the cheese. A Swiss Cheese with fewer eyes is called "Blind Swiss" and will have a more mild flavor. A Swiss Cheese with more eyes has no special name but will have a hugely more pronounced flavor. So, with Swiss Cheese, you want the holes!

As you can see, I like cheese too. No matter what kind of cheese you love or what kind you hate. Cheese has become an important part of the lives of people everywhere.

To learn more about cheese visit https://cheese.com/