The Best-And Least High-Maintainance-Birthday I've Ever Had

The birthday queen has her best one yet. Last year being a teen!

260
Amanda West Facebook

Bonjour, readers. Casually had the most fabulous 4-day-long birthday extravaganza of my entire life. And you're talking about a girl who had a bat mitzvah more lavish than most weddings, rented out a mansion for her 14th birthday "hangout," took her entourage to NYC for her 15th bday, had front row seats at Marina & the Diamonds for her 16th birthday, went to Coachella for her 17th birthday, and, last year, bought out SoulCycle for her 18th birthday. Let's just leave it at... I have had some pretty luxe bdays! You could call me the bday queen. My days in DC were filled with amazing friends, loyal family, and happy memories.

So, you could assume that, just three months after moving to Los Angeles without knowing anyone at all, I would not have enough of these close friends or crazy awesome memories shared with the people I love who live out here to pull off another birthday heist. Well.... I just did. Read below for an account of how to have an extravagant—yet low-key/low-maintainance—bday extravaganza surrounded by your best friends!

I celebrated my best birthday ever, my 19th, out here in LA with my best friends I've ever had. I've actually made so many great friends out here in SoCal. First, on Thursday afternoon, one of my best friends from DC flew in from 2,350+ miles away just for my birthday. She took all of her midterms in advance of my special day! Aww, how adorbs. Right after she came in, we went out with my best friends from USC to the Row, where we hit up all the best fraternity parties.

The next morning, (Friday), we went to yoga sculpt in WeHo. It was sweaty, fun, and wonderful!

After that, since we are both obsessed with AHS (season 6 is the best yet!), we went to the infamous American Horror Story season 1 Murder House in Westwood. It had a fence around it, but its was still as cool as it looked in the show.

We then drove to All Flavor No Grease, which had a three-hour long line. We had the best time goofing around with Keith, the owner of the epic, LA-famous Watts quesadilla business, and then proceeded to eat the best shrimp and chicken quesadillas of our entire existences. He was so nice to us and is all about spreading peace and love throughout South Central.

I showed my best friend from DC around campus.

We went to Nobu Malibu, where we felt like Drake & YG (please reference the song "Who Do You Love?" if you're not hip to the reference). We got the yummiest sushi and they even brought out a special bday dessert for me! :)

We all then went out to the Row for USA/Election Day-themed parties (where we unsuccessfully prayed for Hillary to win...) at Lambda, Phi Psi, PIKE, Delta Chi, and more. We danced the night away and had an epic time.

At 3 a.m., we went back to campus and hit up the USC Bookstore Sprinkles Cupcake ATM, where I had the best s'mores cupcake of my life. We lit candles and celebrated my last teenage year.

We woke up on Saturday to the excitement of HOMECOMING GAMEDAY USC vs. Oregon! (#FTFO #itsgameday) We did the traditional SC gameday activity, which is going to Jacks N Joe to get stacks on stacks and glasses filled to the brim with skinny vanill. We lit more candles there, too, LOL.

We then tailgated at the Row, where we partied it up all day! There were bouncy houses, lots of dance parties, and spirit-filled activities.

My best friend from USC saved us front row seats in the student section and we participated in all the pre-game hype up games! It was super fun.

The game itself was sooooo dope. We crushed Oregon, one of my friends apparently called the SC gameday office to get "HAPPY 19TH ARW" onto the megatron, my friends and I got on the megatron, and, according to my friends, TV three times, and X-Ambassadors came to perform at the halftime show! How fun! I even caught a T-shirt, to top it all off.

We all went out to dinner at Vespaio, my favorite Italian restaurant, which is next to the Broad downtown, and it was delicious. Mussels, prosciutto, and pizza! Ahhhhh!

Got dressed up in our finest USC spirit clothes to celebrate the gameday victory at lit parties on the Row! We even met up with my friends from other schools, like FIDM, UCLA, LMU, etc! My friends even me a sash that said "19 and hot//buy me a shot!" and a "birthday princess" crown! Aww. We stayed out till one, and made sure to document the stroke of midnight on Sunday, November 6th, 2016 so as to celebrate my entering my final teenage year! The DJs were lit, just like they are at every SC party, but they even announced my bday! Woot!

Sunday was my actual bday, and my five closest friends and I partied it up by going to the well-loved Rèpublique on Miracle Mile. Right before we left in our Uber Black SUV, a delivery man rushed up to me and delivered me the largest bouquet of gorgeous pink flowers as well as the biggest bunch of "happy birthday" balloons I've ever seen! They were each bigger than me! Ahhhhh!

The line was rumored to go on for three blocks and take several hours, but once we arrived at the famed brunch spot, but we got there early enough for it to only take a half an hour! Woohoo! We got the best dishes, lit even more candles in cake (cake for breakfast? F yeah!), and opened presents! I got a huge array of great gifts, like jewelry, the new Yeezy collection, Italian chocolates and pastries, awesome workout outfits, and more! My friends even treated me to the whole brunch! So sweet.

The celebration continued onward as we Ubered to Venice Beach to show my DC bae the skate park, Muscle Beach, and the beautiful Pacific ocean!

And what bday is complete without an all-out shopping spree? We hit up Abbot Kinney in Santa Monica to show my DC girl Los Angeles' finest ice cream parlors, bars, boutiques, vintage and thrift shops, and unique street art. I even got a one-of-a-kind vintage slot championship first place bright orange bomber. Adore.

We got some matcha and went back to Compton to say goodbye. When my DC friend had to leave for LAX, we both shed a tear. She really wants to transfer to SC now, because of all the fun we had this weekend! I am so lucky to have such loyal, wild, and loving friends who are willing to haul ass across the entire country to party it up with me on my special day!

One of my SC best friends took me out to a surprise actual birthday dinner, and we went to the most famously authentic Mexican restaurant in all of Los Angeles: El Cholo. We enjoyed the best queso and guac on this planet, had lots of laughs and looked back on some of our funniest memories, and, at the end of the feast, the waiters all came out and sang happy bday to me in Spanish, put a flan with sparklers in front of me, and put a sombrero on my head! LOL! Way to go out with a bang!

We hung out in my dorm until 10:28 PM, which is the exact time I was born! I opened a huge package my parents sent me for my bday—everything inside was so thoughtful and so me!

^ PSA I look so tired/dead inside because of 4 straight days of non-stop partying. Had to leave the evidence here lmaooooo.

I had the best birthday ever not because of all of the presents, parties, DJs, food, laughs, fun, shopping, celebrations, attention, or even happiness. I had the best birthday ever because of the extraordinary and irreplaceable friends I am surrounded by every day. It was my best friends who made my birthday the best one ever. I am so blessed, grateful, and lucky to have the most amazing friends in the entire universe.

I hope you had fun experiencing my birthday with me, and make sure to keep on following my Odyssey account as well as my other social media for more fun in Los Angeles and college.

XOXO,

ARW

theodysseyonline.com/@westxphoto

Instagram.com/amandaromewest

instagram.com/westxphoto

twitter.com/WEST_notkanye

facebook.com/westxphoto

snapchat: @amanda_please6

thewestcoast.vsco.co

sooo-westcoast.tumblr.com

spotify: @arwxo

PS- Ok, maybe my birthday was still a liiiiiitle high-maintenance, but what's not to love? 😉