Thank God For All The Times Mom Was Right

For all the moms out there, especially my own, this one's for you and all the wisdom you've shared.

3451
Mary Day

It's always been said that mother know's best, but rarely do we ever stop to think about how much she really knows. For all the moms out there, especially my own, this one's for you and all the wisdom you've shared. Here's the thank you's you never got for the best pieces of advice you've ever given.

1. "This too shall pass."

For every serious tear I ever shed- over the test that I didn't do so well on, the boy that broke my heart, the game I didn't get to play in, the friends that quit being friends, the mistakes I made- mom was always there to step in and remind me that it would be okay. I never wanted to believe her. I wanted to believe I would fail that high school science course. I wanted to believe I couldn't live without that boy. I wanted to believe I'd never play another game. I wanted to believe I wouldn't find true friends. I wanted to believe I couldn't amount to more than the failures of my past. But mom always proved right, it always passed, and thank God for that.

2. "It's not a secret if two people know."

AMEN. I should've realized mom was right on that one in first grade when she was trying to teach me the importance of not sharing things I don't want to be told, but it took several more years and unnecessary disagreements for me to get the memo. Some things, really most things, are better kept to yourself, and in a small-town world, thank God for that.

3. "You have to choose to be happy."

When it rains, it pours, and sometimes even when the storm is trying to pass, we just won't let it go. Mom knew me all to well. When I lose something or someone, when I fail, when life just isn't fair, my glass suddenly isn't even half empty but bone dry. Luckily, I've been blessed with two legs and feet to walk on, and I have the power to get my own drink and fill the glass again. I don't have to wait on others or the luck of life's draw to do it for me, to make me happy, and thank God for that.

4. "Life is better when you're married to your best friend."

My parents were "Pinterest before Pinterest was a thing." I have never seen two people who even after 27 years still write anniversary cards with "our playlist" like its high school and enjoy life together as much as they do. I seriously was slightly relieved to get out of the house and not feel like a third wheel on date night every night. Obviously I haven't gotten to see how this piece of advice will change my life in the future yet, but I know that when I do I'll need to thank mom for it. Until then I have two of the world's happiest and most loving parents, and thank God for that.

5. "You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think, and stronger than you seem."

Mom might have borrowed this one from A.A. Milne and Winnie the Pooh, but it's still something that gets me through every single day. It's my reminder that no matter how big and overwhelming this life may seem, I'm equip not only to handle it, but to tackle it. Even more, I have a mother who believes in me, and thank God for that.

So here's to you mom. You've proven to be right a million more times than you've ever proven wrong. Your infinite wisdom has lead me through 18 years of a pretty great life, and will follow me wherever I go, and each and every day I thank God for that.