A Bernie Supporter's Best Alternative To Hillary Clinton

It's important for Bernie Sanders supporters to not just "fall in line" and vote for Hillary Clinton.

4
via Salon.com

The result of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia left many hopeful Bernie Sanders supporters dejected and even frustrated at the fact that their attempts to change the political system in place. Hillary Clinton clinched the Democratic nomination and her presence at the convention seemed to just be a formality for her, as she was sure that she had already won the nomination. With the majority of the speakers, such as President Obama and former president Bill Clinton, backing Hillary Clinton, her place as a prominent career politician.

Ironically, Philadelphia is seen as one of the birthplaces of American political representation and freedom, but Hillary Clinton is the presidential nominee who represents direct opposite. Throughout the primaries there were accusations of the Democratic National Convention effectively rigging the election to ensure that Hillary Clinton would win the nomination. From Sanders' delegates being locked out of the convention for a period of time, to emails between the Clinton Campaign and the supposedly-neutral Democratic Party, to the large campaign donations from other multi-millionaires,the resentment towards the Clinton campaign amongst Sanders supports has been influencial in the "Bernie-or-Bust" movement.

Now it's clear that there is no real Bernie option anymore, so what should the supporters of this movement - or any Sanders supporter for that matter - do? The best option at this point for many people regardless of party is two vote third-party, especially given the indignation of many voters in the both the Democrat and Republican parties towards their respective nominees. For example, some Republicans see the Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson as a much better option than Trump, given their political views. However, Libertarian views don't always fall in line with those of many progressives. This means that Bernie supporters have to look to another party, such as the Green Party and their candidate Jill Stein to find an almost identical candidate.

For example, Jill Stein and Bernie Sanders are both pro-choice in terms of abortion and for EPA regulation and attempts to move to cleaner energy, expanding universal healthcare, higher taxing and preventing major corporations from gaining too much economic and political power. They both also want to avoid foreign entanglement and the overuse of free trade.

It's important for Bernie Sanders supporters to not just "fall in line" and vote for Hillary Clinton, especially after the voter suppression carried out by the Democratic party and Clinton. Instead of picking the lesser of two evils, you should vote for your ideals and your conscience, and that vote is one for Jill Stein. Even if Jill Stein doesn't win, any large number of votes for Jill Stein would force the Democratic Party to change in some way.