The Benefits Of A Summer Job!

The Benefits Of A Summer Job!

A list of why working during the summer isn't such a bad idea!

6
The Benefits Of A Summer Job!
MasterPay USA

The best thing about summer is getting to sleep in and enjoy time with friends and family. For college students in particular, this is usually the only time when it’s possible for friends who attend other schools to meet up. So far, I’ve seen many students post pictures of their latest summer outing, including trips to other states and countries, as well as trips to Disneyland and the San Diego County Fair. Because summer always seems to go by so quickly, many cringe at the idea of working over the summer. I personally was not too keen on the idea of having to work during the summer. However, as I begin working for the second summer in a row, I decided to list some reasons as to what the benefits are for working during the summer!

1. Money (Duh!)

One of the obvious reasons for working in the summer is the financial aspect. As we all know, college tuition is only increasing and financial aid only goes so far as to cover everything. Working during the summer proves the opportunity for money to be saved for future costs including: tuition fees, textbooks, and even rent. Be sure to take some of that money and spend it for fun! While it is important to save some of the paycheck for savings, it never hurts to use some of it towards fun activities, such as buying a new outfit or having money to go to the movies! When you make your own money, it provides a sense of responsibility and freedom since you’re the one in charge of how that money gets spent!

2. Experience!

I started working for the first time last summer in late May. I was annoyed at the idea of working and “wasting” my summer, but I decided to apply anyway. I was both nervous and excited when I got a call back from Ross to schedule an interview. Luckily, things went well and I spent my entire summer working as a sales associate. I had no prior experience whatsoever and I managed to gain some important skills as a cashier work and in customer service. As I begin my second summer back at work, it is definitely a lot easier to get my work done as I remembered almost everything from last summer! Many stores and fast food services are in desperate need of seasonal workers, since summer is one of the busiest times of the year, so don’t be afraid to apply if you don’t have any job experience! Once you do land that summer job, it’ll be one more thing to add to your résumé!

3. Flexibility and Time

When filling out applications, a choice is given as to which days and times you are available to work. If you’re like me and don’t really have too much of a busy summer, then it’s best to put that you’re available to work all week. This gives you an incentive over other people seeking the same job! Also, I seem to always have my weekends free, which is a bonus! They usually won’t have you work weekends in the beginning due to the fact that weekends are the busiest times and you’re newly hired. Overall, don’t be hesitant in marking the days/times you’re free, since it is best to be open and honest with the places you’re applying at.

Working during the summer has many benefits, including making some extra money and gaining experience. While some people may prefer to keep their summer job-free, it is definitely something to consider if you have the time! If you take classes during the summer, don’t be afraid to let them know -- most places are usually very understanding and have no issue with working around your schedule! If you have to leave due to reasons such as school, they’ll also understand; be sure to let them know if you’re interested in returning for the next summer so they can keep an eye out for your application.

If you work really hard and prove to the manager(s) just how committed you are to the job, they may ask you to stay permanently! I was offered a chance to work as an established part-time worker, but I had to decline due to the fact that I go to school in the Central Valley. So, if you get the chance to keep your job all year and it is something you don’t mind, don’t be afraid to accept!