5 Of Bellingham's Best Vegetarian Eateries

Got dietary restrictions? Eat in Bellingham!

643
Ashley-Nichole Holland

At just about any eatery you go to in the city of Bellingham, you can find if not one, but several vegetarian options for your cruelty-free heart. The city’s subdued excitement may have to do with the city’s obsession with health and well-being; many commute on bike, or on foot, the local co-ops are always busy, and there is always something to eat for vegans, vegetarians, and people with dietary restrictions. I committed to vegetarianism a little over five years ago – I have an extreme shellfish allergy and have been without red meat since the eighth grade. I wanted to cut out fast food and “eat clean.” I thought going vegetarian would open new doors to my health and to a world of food that I didn’t know much about.

I was vegetarian for two years before I moved up to Bellingham; I ate a lot of salads and not enough protein. During the first couple of years of my vegetarianism, I was living in northern Iowa – most restaurants do not have a vegetarian portion of the menu, so sides and salads were my go-to. I didn’t know much about plant-based substitutes for meats, as I was just starting to learn where to get plant-based proteins. When I made the pilgrimage up north, I found that all restaurants have a vegetarian section with markings that indicate which have vegan and gluten-free options. Of course, it seems as if restaurants recognized the demographic of eaters in the area and included food items on their menu that appeal to them to bring them into the restaurant so they spend money. Fine, take my money! When you try the Co-op’s popcorn tofu with the vegan ranch, your whole life will be turned around.

Thus, here is a list I've compiled of the most eating-inclusive eateries in Bellingham, WA.

1. Community Food Co-Op.

I never knew what a co-op grocery was until I moved to Bellingham; the suburbs that I grew up in didn’t have a co-op and neither did small town Iowa. In the 1970s, Bellingham’s first co-op opened its doors, providing a natural food selection for its members. Since opening, our community co-op expanded immensely, opening a space on the other end of town, and then a community learning center and bakery across from its flagship store.

Bellingham’s co-ops are committed to our community, providing natural, ethical and delicious food, sourced locally and inclusive for all dietary restrictions. The deli and the hot food bar make for the perfect lunchtime stop in the middle of the work day. Whether it’s Meatless Monday or Taco Tuesday, the community co-op has everything to fit your nourishment needs.

2. Boundary Bay Brewery.

Bellingham, with all of its hipsters, workers, artists and students, we certainly do love a fine craft beer. Boundary Bay Brewery, named for Bellingham’s location on the bay and on the Canadian-American boundary, is the home of handcrafted beer and a vegetarian-friendly menu. With a menu like Boundary Bay’s, they leave no question when a vegetarian sits down and wonders, “can I eat here?” Even with items on the menu listed with meat, Boundary is accommodating, and notes that most dishes can be made as a vegetarian dish or without gluten.

3. Fiamma Burger.

Like the co-op, Fiamma Burger, a locally owned and operated eatery, prides themselves on serving local, top-of-the-line ingredients. At Fiamma Burger, all veggie patties are made in house with fresh ingredients. Other burger joints in the area only offer your regular old, run-of-the-mill Gardein patty when a veggie burger is listed on the menu. Not saying that Gardein patties aren’t good, because they are, but Fiamma goes the extra mile to create their own delicious product for herbivore consumers like me. Fiamma Burger also guarantees that their fries are gluten-free and even offers gluten-free buns that are made in town and delivered by cargo bike every morning.

4. Brandywine Kitchen.

The last time I had a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich, I was 12, and was about to attend a Seattle Seahawks game with my dad. Besides the fact that the sandwich was delicious, my stomach was very sensitive to red meat, and I knew that. That was the last time I ate beef, and it wasn’t until I went to local Bellingham restaurant, Brandywine Kitchen, where I would be able to order a plant-based Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich. Paired with the pesto aioli and the Portabello Melt is a vegetarian sandwich connoisseurs wildest dream!

Side note: Bradywine Kitchen also serves gluten-free fish & chips, mac & cheese and salmon cakes.

5. Rudy's Pizzeria.

Nowhere else in town builds a dairy-free pizza quite like Rudy’s Pizzeria. Now, I know, getting a vegetarian pizza isn’t the hardest task in the world; cheese pizza is classic for a reason. But when you come across a pizza place like Rudy’s, nothing can compare. Rudy’s Pizzeria offers the full spectrum of vegetables (and fruit, if you’re into the whole pineapple of pizza thing – gross), gluten-free crust and dairy-free cheese. Finding vegan pizza is like mining for gold. Rudy’s Pizzeria, STAY GOLD.