We Are Being Too Harsh On Lebron, Here's Why

Why we are being too harsh on the greatest basketball player of all time in his 16th season.

13

The current best player in the NBA, LeBron James, has recently come under harsh criticism as for the first time since 2006 his team is slated to miss the playoffs. These criticisms follow after James met with the rapper "2 Chainz" to help produce his upcoming album as well as a few questionable defensive possessions where his effort is put into question. It is easy to place the Lakers' woes on James as he's seen as a perennial leader and has lead a handful of not-so-great supporting casts to the NBA finals, however the 16th year vet is still producing all-time great numbers.

After 34 games in the 2018-2019 NBA season, James suffered a groin injury that would have him inactive for the next 17 games. The Lakers posted a 20-14 record prior to the injury earning them a 4th spot in a highly contentious Western Conference. In the 18 games that he missed, the Lakers posted just a 6-11 record dropping them out of a playoff spot for James' return. The Lakers now sit at a mere 30-34 record at the 11th spot in the Western Conference. Of those 64 games, LeBron has only played in 46, some of which with limited minutes to help rehab from the aforementioned groin injury. It is also important to note that at 34 years old, it is not easy to come back from any injury, let alone something as important to the sport as the groin.

Throughout his whole career, greatness has been expected from LeBron, and even in year 16 at 34 years of age it is still expected of him, which causes heads to turn when he is not producing constant and pure greatness on a nightly basis. Currently, James' season averages sit at 27.0 PPG, 9 RBPG, and 8.0 APG, on an incredibly efficient 51% FG%. This equates to one rebound and 2 assists away from averaging a triple double. For comparison, Kobe Bryant (also on the Lakers) averaged 27.3 PPG, 5.6 RBPG, and 6.0 APG at the age of 34, while not facing nearly the same magnitude of backlash from the media.

The formula for success with Lebron in his career has been to surround him with shooters, as James' frequently draws more than one defender, it helps to have long range shooters to pass to and reliably hit open shots. It is becoming increasingly clear that the Lakers lack that essential part of the formula. Analyzing the current starting 5's shooting stats reveals a potentially grim future. While boasting a 49.7% shooting percentage, Brandon Ingram shoots only 33% from 3. Starting PG Rajon Rondo shoots a mere 42% from the field including 37.6% from 3. Javale McGee, an inside shooter, sits at 61.1% from the field, however that only translates to 11 PPG, and finally Reggie Bullock shoots the worst of the starting 5 at 41.3% on the floor and 38.5% from 3. Finally, the last piece of the Lakers' young core, Kyle Kuzma, who is shooting 46.5% from the floor and only hitting 31.2% of his threes. The Lakers are missing their starting guard in Lonzo Ball, however he posts a 40.6% FG% on his career which includes a dismal 31.5% from beyond the arc. It is clear that, while LeBron may not put in a full effort on every defensive possession, he clearly does not hold the burden of blame for the team's struggles.

It is easy to be complacent when it comes to LeBron James, as he has produced one of the most consistently great careers of any athlete in any sport ever. While we may miss his usual postseason dominance this year it is important to appreciate every game that he plays as we are witnessing history and greatness in real time, and the game won't be the same when he's gone.