How To Survive College When You're Sick

How To Survive College When You're Sick

I miss the sick days where I could lie on my grandma's couch and eat soup.

44
How To Survive College When You're Sick

College is all fun and games until you’re sick and want nothing more to be home lying on the couch, watching "Scooby Doo." This is me currently. Instead, I make myself go to class with the belief of “what if I feel worse tomorrow and need to skip class then?” This is a never-ending cycle and I always end up in class.

Life doesn’t have to be miserable when you’re sick, but chances are, you will be. There are a few ways to ensure that you feel better and are back on your feet soon.

Always plan ahead.

When stocking up on necessities at the start of the semester, make sure to buy tissues, hand sanitizer and cold medicines. At first, I didn’t want to buy them because I was buying so much for school; but right now, I’m thankful I did and I didn’t have to drive my sniffly self to CVS for tissues. Planning ahead like this will save you when you begin to feel sick.

Rest.

My mom preaches this to me every time I feel like I’m coming down with something. Resting and getting proper sleep always make me feel better, even though my head is stuffed up. Getting proper sleep helps your body fight off whatever is plaguing you. Rest as often as you can.

Water.

Staying hydrated is key. Often when I’m sick, water tastes funny and I am not inclined to drink any. It is super important that your body is hydrated and able to partake in fighting off your sickness. If anything, your body needs extra hydration. So grab yourself a cup of tea and crawl into bed early.

Hot shower.

The steam from the hot shower does wonders when you are not feeling well. Even just standing in there you will feel your sinuses opening and may be able to breathe, even if only for a little while.

Tissues are a godsend.

By no means should anyone use paper towels or napkins on their runny nose. I have in the past out of desperation, but it should never be the first choice. They will wreck your nose and make it all peel-y and gross. I speak from personal experience; my nose hurt and bled from how dry it was. Just use a tissue.

Wash your hands.

A big one that I like to practice is washing my hands constantly and wiping stuff down to ensure my roommates don’t get sick. I do it for them and myself so my germs aren’t hanging around to make them sick. The simple task of washing my hands makes me feel so much better and human. It makes me believe that health is right around the corner.

Eat.

No one wants, or even likes, to eat when they are sick. It’s close to the last thing on their minds. But eating and taking in those calories will help power your body and fuel your sick soul.

Try to remain human.

Some of the biggest things I hate about being sick are feeling like I have a clouded head, a sore throat and the chills. Also, not being able to taste your food is the worst. So, I try to remain human as much as possible. I try to stick to my usual routine as much as I can. Whether it is making dinner, doing laundry, homework with my friends or working (within reason). I like to keep to the usual tasks to feel as much like myself as possible.

No one enjoys being sick. It throws off routines, plans and everyday life. By now, I’m a pro at handling colds and sinus infections, so I know what to expect, but that doesn’t make them enjoyable. For now, though, I’m going to relax, have some chicken noodle soup and rest.