Why Being A Romantic Isn't Hopeless

Why Being A Romantic Isn't Hopeless

I am not hopeless, but hopeful

87
Why Being A Romantic Isn't Hopeless
Romantic Kiss Sunset Cliche

Going into college I envisioned myself making great grades, being productive in the arts, and finding a boyfriend. Only two of those things have happened.

I’ve always been a romantic. When I was young I use to look through my mom’s wedding scrapbook and mesmerize over her dress and the wonderful photos of my parents together. Today I love the films that sweep you off to a world of romance, where the ending is a happily ever after. Simply, I love anything slightly romantic. Whether it be a long laced dress, an old-timey photo of a couple in Paris, or a romantic book (The Princess Bride is one of my favorites), I fall in love with these and imagine that I too one day will find “the one”.

All throughout high school my friends either called me an idealist or a hopeless romantic. But being a romantic isn’t hopeless. Being a romantic is when you look at the beautiful things in the world, wanting to surround yourself with good and happiness. Also, if you're romantic you know what you want in a relationship but are open enough to make changes so that everyone is happy in the end. I know what I want in a relationship: a loyal, funny, sweet, romantic guy. And in my romantic mind, I imagined finding that person at college. I would always daydream that I would just see him walking to class and know he’s the one. For some, it’s like that and for others, it isn’t. But once you find love, you know it’s there. It was coming to college I realized that I am in no rush to find a relationship. For most romantics, quality is more important than quantity. You want a fun (of course romantic) and meaningful relationship with someone. You also know how to make the best of a situation (such as a date). You may have an idealized view of what you want and even if it doesn’t turn out that way, you make the most of it. Being a romantic you have a mindset that other “too realistically grounded people” don’t have. Yes, you’d prefer to be with your prince charming in the lamp-lit streets of raining Paris, but even if you don’t get that when you want it, it doesn’t stop you from believing in true love.

Then comes in the big question regarding how does a romantic find someone when they have such “high values”. To be honest, it’s a waiting game. Though we are not hopeless wanderers dreaming of what we want, we are living our dreams by believing in ourselves and the unchartered future. This was difficult for me at first in college. I know I can attest for others who were greatly disappointed to find that most college boys are like the ones in high school: still immature and only looking for hook-ups. Of course, not all are like that. There is sometimes that special someone and when anyone finds him romantics are truly envious. But I’ve learned that time is the enemy here. Finding a boyfriend quicker isn’t better than taking a while to pinpoint the one that brings out the best in you. Your ally here is patience, which can get frustrating at some times. If you’re a romantic than you know this. As a romantic, I wouldn't define myself not as hopeless but hopeful for the future. You know love is a waiting game, but you continue to dream and wait t’ill you find your prince charming.