What It's Like Being A Kid In Summer

What It's Like Being A Kid In Summer

Even if you're almost 20 years old.

10
What It's Like Being A Kid In Summer

A fresh sunburn after a solid 10 hours in the neighbor's pool, a melting cherry popsicle slipping down your hand and a good (actually great) night of sleep.

After growing up and falling to the pressure of all of society’s expectations, we’ve all forgotten what it’s like to be a child in summer. We’ve all become so consumed with student debt, awful minimum wage jobs, etc., that when it’s time to bask in summer’s glory, we actually can’t.

Those responsibilities carry over through all of the seasons and vacations are often only a week long. Sadly, many of us took for granted the many years of carefree summers filled with innocence and joy, that those times are forgotten.

Personally, I’ve been privileged with three nieces and two nephews (all 7 and under) who fill my life with child-like joy without having to be a child.

Now that summer has officially started, it’s time to finally remember and maybe relive some of the moments that are really rare in the adult world.

1. Swimming pools (the shallow ones from Wal-Mart)

Nothing’s better than playing sharks and minnows while running through the freshly cut grass in the sun rays of summer. Playing a competitive game with some friends without a care in the world is amazing. There are no worries, no concept of time and absolutely no right or wrong. I remember playing small pool games with my friends and someone would always cheat, but did it matter? No. Why? Because we would play again tomorrow anyway. Nothing was at stake.

2. Amusement parks

If you grew up in Pittsburgh, you know Kennywood, the greatest place on Earth (until you go to Disney World). My nephew recently attended both, and he can’t stop raving about them, telling me all of the details about each ride he went on and the experience he had on his new favorite roller coaster. Although as grown people we too can enjoy a day trip to an amusement park, but rarely do we continue to experience the amusement park weeks after the trip. Being a child gives you the rush of experiencing new things, maybe not even new things, and truly appreciating it for the long haul.

3. Legos

I’m sorry, but recently have I truly appreciated Legos and their level of entertainment. I may be a dork, but they truly can take up a lot of time and it can be enjoyable. When my nieces asked me to help them with their Lego project, I scoffed. I honestly said “I don’t know what to do with those.” Of course I knew what to do with them, but it’s like I didn’t remember how much fun they were and how creative you can be. It’s fun, just fun. Although, they hurt if you step on a random one and the Lego company may not include all of the specific pieces you may need, the possibilities are endless.

4. Grandma and Pap’s (Grandfather's, rather) house

My family and I are very close -- so close that we are each other’s neighbors. My eldest sister and her family live in the house across from us and for the kids, almost every day includes a trip to Grandma’s and Pap’s. The pure excitement I see on their faces reminds me that some of my best moment were at Grandma and Pap’s house. That’s the first place I slept over, the place I learned how to play card games and the place I spent my Sundays. When you’re kid, you really appreciate the time spent with your grandparents. When you grow up, you forget that their time is running out, and one day you’ll wish you went one more time to at least spend a day with them.

After reminiscing through the summer moments of childhood, I’ve realized that a ton of kids might be too caught up in their Instagram accounts to do half of the things that the past generations have done, which is sad.

I want everyone to experience being a child in summer one more time to truly understand how nice it is to be a kid in general.

Life is easier, summer’s longer and the sun feels 10 times better when you don’t have a care in the world.