Becoming A Godmother Changed My Life

Becoming A Godmother Changed My Life

I prayed to God every night that He would use me in a way that would somehow impact her life

1036
Becoming A Godmother Changed My Life
Taylor Markee

Godparents are an important part of life. They are people who guide you, pray for you, and love you no matter what. I always knew I wanted to be a Godparent someday but I never imaged it would happen as soon as it did for me.

During my 10th grade year of high school, one of my best friends had a baby. I was so excited when she was born because I love children. I remember so clearly meeting Adeline when she was just 4 weeks old. I stepped out of my car and saw her for the first time and I fell in love with her. I knew from that point forward I wanted to be a role model in her life. I prayed to God every night that He would use me in a way that would somehow impact her life.

When she turned one, her mom was ready to get her baptized. I remember sitting in my car in the parking lot at Westshore Mall after taking Adeline to see a movie, and my friend called me and told me that Adeline was going to be baptized soon. I was very excited, but I found out that the Baptism was going to take place the first weekend after I move away for college. I told her that and she said, "Taylor, you have to be there, I want you to be Adeline's Godmother." I was so excited and just filled with joy, after being told I was going to be a Godmother. I happily agreed and made arrangements to be home for the Baptism. The Baptism was beautiful and I was happy to accept the responsibility of walking beside Adeline and helping her in her relationship with Jesus. From that day forward, I continually thank God for answering that prayer of mine.

Adeline is two and a half now, and I have loved every part of being her Godmother. Being in college makes it hard to see her as often as I want, but whenever I am home I always make it a point to try to see her. She is growing up so fast and I don't want to miss any of it. I pray for her often and have her pictures hanging on my wall for when I need a pick-me-up. Looking at those photos reminds me that there is always a reason to smile and that I have a purpose even when sometimes it's hard to find. Thankfully, Facetime is a thing, so whenever I am missing her in school, Facetime is always there to my rescue. Just hearing little parts of her day on the phone makes me smile. I am so proud of the little girl she is growing up to be.

Being a Godmother has changed my life in so many ways. When I became a Godmother I soon learned what it was like to love someone unconditionally and care for someone like they are my own. It's amazing how much my life has changed and how differently I look at life now. I have been challenged to grow in my own faith in order to teach Adeline, and help her walk in the ways of the Lord. I truly love Adeline like she is my own and whenever I get the chance to be with her I feel so loved by her. Watching her get so excited to see me when I show up, she warms my heart. There is no better feeling than seeing this little girl running over to me with a huge smile on her face and jumping into my arms. I love carrying the name, Auntie Taylor. I am thankful for the special bond that I will always share with my Goddaughter.

I did not know that I would be a Godmother by the age of 18, but I am so thrilled and blessed beyond belief that I get to continue to take on this role of loving and supporting this darling little girl.

"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness" - Colossians 2:6-7