Being The Generation That Is Always Connected

14

We live in a generation full of iPhones, iPads, and all sorts of other mind numbing technologies.

The technology we have is great, but sometimes I wish we didn’t have all of it and that life wasn’t full of text messages and emojis. The other day, I was at the beach, and there was a family next to me, and this little boy who was not even eight years old, was complaining he didn’t have an iPhone. I didn’t have my first phone until the seventh grade, and didn’t get my first iPhone until last Christmas. The generation we live in today, and the one to come, is very spoiled.

We are losing part of our connection to the world, and those around us. It’s understandable why we are called the generation that is always connected. We are connected through social media, but through social media that allows us to avoid interacting with our peers, face to face. I miss the days when, in order to hang out with someone, you had to call the house phone and ask for your friend and then you waited until it was that certain time or day to hang out with them. You didn’t know if they were at Chick-Fil-A, or just leaving the beach until you got to their house and they told you about their day.

I’m guilty of doing this because it’s what I’m used too. I can’t even speak my mind anymore because I’m so used to hiding behind a screen for half of the day. That’s even how it is with my best friends. I’ll text them my true feelings rather than tell them in person. It doesn’t matter if we are in the same room or not. 

There’s no real chivalry anymore, either, and I blame social media for that. There are no more boys standing outside your window blaring their boombox, or throwing pebbles at your window at 3 a.m. to see if you’re up. Instead, there are dating apps, like Tinder, because who wants to go out and actually meet people these days? They’ll text you 24/7, but when it comes to actually hanging out, it’s like they’re from a completely different planet or never even existed.

Things can always change, and we can become less reliant on the technology that has come to be a major part of our lives. We can start going out more and spending time with friends, face to face, instead of sitting in bed staring at a computer screen all day. There are days where I don’t even want to be near my phone, because I can experience the world in a whole different way, and see things I would probably miss if I had my phone with me.

I encourage you to take some technology out of your life, just for a day or two, and see how it changes your perspective on the world and life.