I Asked 27 People What It's Like To Be Part Of The LGBTQ Community In The Trump Era, And It's Time To Bring That Passion To The Polls
Currently

Some may even call it The Discrimination Administration as they point to Trump's Timeline of Hate.

2705

No matter what your political affiliation is, it's important to recognize that, right now, we have an administration that objectively discriminates against marginalized people. Some even call it the "discrimination administration" as they point to Trump's "timeline of hate."

Hence, I want to do all that I can to share the voices of the underrepresented LGBTQ community, especially since Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barett is a threat to their rights. From restrictions on LGBTQ folk in the military to the anti-trans rhetoric and anti-LGBTQ discrimination in healthcare and adoptions, there are way too many actions taken that directly harm the LGBTQ community.

We all need to stand together and turn our fears, worries, and anxiety into positive actions for change. Remember to vote, stay informed, and focus on a positive mindset.

I asked 27 people via a Google Form and here are their 33 responses:

​"I've always been anxious when it comes to PDA, but it's been really hard for me to be out in public and feel like myself! It's hard to feel like myself in general."

Non-Binary, Gay, 17

​"It's less that I fear Trump, it's more that I fear the people who support him. Coming from a family of Trump supporters, I feel like I can't truly be myself out of fear of ridicule."

Non-Binary/Agender, Bisexual, 23

​"We are so discriminated against and I feel like I have to hide my sexuality to not be ridiculed at school."

Female, Pansexual, 14

"I have never once awoken in fear and felt the need to check the news, but that has been the reality of every single day for the past 3.5 years. My family members have started using racist and homophobic speech, and sending me propaganda and very obvious disinformation. They shame me for having a college degree and say I'm brainwashed for not following Trump. I've since had to cut my mother, father, sister, and bother out. Thankfully, I have two brothers left, but I never thought that I would lose family over a presidency. Watching the country devolve into whatever you would even call this apocalyptic mess has been the most disheartening thing about it all. I held so much hope that Trump would get voted out, but even if that happens, the people who voted for him will still exist. These individuals, my family included, either feel that LGBTQ people don't matter, or they feel that Trump's advocacy against marginalized groups isn't important enough to matter. At this point, I'm unsure if these people held these views before Trump and the current political environment just makes them comfortable expressing their true colors or if these people have been brainwashed like I've seen my parents be. They were Democrats up until Bush Jr. Since then, they have stopped talking about equality and equity for all, and started talking about how poor people are freeloaders, Black people are inherently dangerous, and the only saving grace is the republican party. Even as I child, I knew their statements were wrong, and only as an adult do I understand why."

Female, Bisexual, 26

​"I realized my gender in the past few years. I really understood myself amidst this political chaos and obviously that brings good and bad."

Non-Binary, Gay, 17

​"I'm OK right now but in the future who knows?"

Male, Gay, 14

​"It hasn't affected me, but for me, it's very nerve racking. Because he is taking away LGBTQ future."

Trans-guy and Non-Binary, Gay and Bisexual, 15

​"It has been a stressful experience as the man others call our president is a thinly veiled symbol of hatred and clearly is very ambivalent about the future of LGBTQ youth and adults alike."

Non-Binary, Pansexual, 16

​"This [president] is against not only my beliefs but me as a human being."

Female, Bisexual, 21

"Constant fear that my few rights will be dismantled and no more will be gained. Worried for the safety of the LGBTQ community, especially trans folks."

Female, Lesbian, 58

"I personally haven't faced anything bad but I know it can be hard for people to face discrimination and torture."

Male, Gay, 14

"This [president] was incredibly polarizing and seemed to deepen the lines separating people from each other, those who disagree became much more militant and volatile than they would've in the past."

Non-Binary, Pansexual, 16

"It affected my mental health in a terrible way, now I fear discrimination and possible injuries for being gay."​

Male, Gay, 14

​"I've cut contact with most people I used to care about — and honestly — they are not missed. I've started introspecting even harder to try to become my best self. I'm falling apart though."

Female, Bisexual, 26

​"Mainly fear, the knowledge that I can't disclose my gender identity to a doctor in case it's 'against their beliefs' to treat me, constant anger."

Non-Binary, Pansexual, 21

​"Ignore the light 'edgy' tone, but honestly I feel almost numbed to the injustices of our current administration."

Non-Binary, Pansexual, 16

​"1. Accepting help from Russia 2. Putting children in cages 3. Forced sterilization of women 4. Rollback of LGBTQ rights 5. Rollback of environmental protections 6. Leaving the Paris Climate Accord 7. Appointing [an alleged rapist] to the supreme court 8. Disregarding 80 years of formality regarding supreme court appointments in an election year 9. Advocacy of disinformation 10. Hiding the severity of the coronavirus 11. Literally everything Trump does to ensure his fan base is intact."

Female, Bisexual, 26

​"Steadily gotten worse since 2016."

Non-Binary, Pansexual, 21

​"Pure horror."

Female, Bisexual, 21

​"I was radicalized — went from a Democrat to [a] liberal to [a] socialist."

Non-Binary, Pansexual, 21

​"It's scary! I try not to focus on it, but obviously it's an anxiety that i can't really do much about. I have my friends and the people I care about, and I try to hold on to them when I have trouble seeing the light."

Non-Binary, Gay, 17

​"I think it's unfair that they're trying to leave it up to the states to decide if gay marriage is legal."

Non-Binary/Agender, Bisexual, 23

​"Increased stress, anxiety, and anger towards those in the community who vote for people who our going to hurt us."

Female, Lesbian, 58

​"Complete disregard and just plain ignoring that LGBTQ Americans exist."

Male, Gay, 44

​"Not a day goes by where my blood doesn't boil!!"

Non-Binary, Gay, 17

"This won't last forever, we're going to change the world."​

Non-Binary, Pansexual, 21

​"I feel like having a more liberal leader sets a better tone with the general public when it comes to LGBTQ matters."

Non-Binary/Agender, Bisexual, 23

​"On a scale of 1–10, probably about a six."

Male, Gay, 44

"I have become increasingly anxious and angry."​

Male, Gay, 21

​"I feel on edge that someone may see me and say malicious things to me about my gender identity because of the tone set by the current administration."

Non-Binary/Agender, Bisexual, 23

​"Angry at seeing this administration roll back LGBTQ anti-discrimination protections. Worried that Republicans will repeal marriage equality (it's stated right in their documented platform that they want to do this)."

Male, Gay, 44

"I'm not the same person I once was. I am constantly on edge. It feels like any and everything is life-ending. I'm so stressed."​

Female, Bisexual, 26

​"Very nerve-racking that I won't be able to have a future of my own because he is taking away every single right of mine."

These responses have been lightly edited for length or clarity.