Getting Deferred Isn't That Bad

Getting Deferred Isn't That Bad

It is nothing more than a second chance to change their minds.

91
Getting Deferred Isn't That Bad
hercampus

Mid December is a stressful time for seniors. Applying to early decision to schools has become a very big part of the college process and by the end of December, many students will have been happily accepted into their dream schools.

I'm not one of those seniors.

On December 15th, I went to my Yale University student portal - semi prepared for rejection, but hoping for the best - and had mixed emotions when I read the words "voted to defer action on your application." At first, I was heartbroken. I had worked so hard to get into this school because I firmly believe it would be a good fit for me, but my efforts didn't get me in.

However, as I thought more and more about this deferral, I realized it wasn't really so bad. For starters, it was definitely better than full-out rejection. In addition, it means I'm still being highly considered for one of the best universities in the world. How can I be upset about that?

Most importantly, it means I can still have hope. It means I still have a chance and that I'm still a strong candidate. It means I could still get in.

There's a very high possibility that me not getting into Yale yet was not because of my essays or test scores or grades or activities; they probably would've just denied me if those were of concern. Universities work towards diversity and balance in their schools and one of my characteristics or where I live or what major I'm interested in may not fit the type of student they need, even if I'm completely qualified to go to their school.

So for anyone who read the word "deferred" while opening their portal this December, don't let it be the end of your world. You are still good enough to be highly considered and the hope of attending your school is definitely not lost. Wherever you end up is where you are meant to be and if you feel where you are meant to be is the school you got deferred from then work hard and send your rep updates on the school year; don't let up.

You still have about two weeks until most applications are due so get a few safety school apps in and some target schools and keep the rep from your deferral school updated on the great community service and academic achievements you have accomplished since you submitted your early app.

Getting deferred is nothing more than a second chance to change their minds.