Being Confident In A Generation Of Judgment

The Long Road To Self Confidence
156

Confidence is harder than it looks and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me to "just have confidence in yourself," I'd be rich. One thing no one really ever tells you is, how? How do you obtain self-confidence in a generation where everyone is judging you? Here's some advice that will hopefully help you get through those moments of fear when presenting an idea or trying something new.

Being a college student I'm always comparing myself to others. Here's some advice that could take you a long way. Do not, and I mean DO NOT compare yourself to others. As much as you don't want to admit it, there is always someone that is going to be better at something than you. Everyone is on their own path, so confidence must come from creating your own motives without making it into a competition.

One thing that took me a long time to realize is that it's okay to be wrong. It's also perfectly okay to fail. Confidence stems from being able to accept your failures and grow from them. I've learned that the more you fail, the more empowered and motivated you become.

This may sound extremely corny...let me rephrase that, this will sound extremely corny, but it is important to find your value. Find it by doing something you love, and applying that to something that you may be self-conscious about.

In my case, I am extremely self-conscious about public speaking. I'm that girl who will try absolutely anything and everything to get out of a presentation. The lack of confidence always comes from the thought that people might be judging me. I've learned throughout my time at college so far to completely block out the negativity. Overcome self-doubt by not letting others determine how you view yourself as a person.

The last piece of advice I could give would be to step out of your comfort zone. Try new things and allow those experiences to shape you. I've learned that someone isn't going to be standing by our side to push us out of our comfort zones. It is something that has to be done by you and only you.

Self-confidence is hard. Trust me, I still struggle with it every day, but you just have to live and learn through it.

Feeling good about yourself is so easy to put in the hands of others. Focus on you.