I May Not Be A Mom, But That Doesn't Mean I'm Wrong

OH OKAY

42
canva.com

This has been a subject I have been wanting to write about for a long time but I could never manage to get the words out.

I am almost 27 years old, and other than my two dogs and husband, I have never had another living, breathing, person depend on me. Honestly, I can barely even put my husband in that category cause 90% of the time, he takes care of me. I just do his laundry and occasionally make him dinner, and by dinner, I mean the world's best grilled cheese.

I have always told myself that I didn't want to be a mom, as I know how rotten I was to my mother and the last thing I want is to see is a little mini me, throwing back all the shade that I once threw out as kid. #Karma

A big struggle for me was always feeling as if I couldn't be a mom because of the mom I have. Growing up it seemed as if the lessons I learned were a majority of what not to do versus what actually should be done. I know that not to be true now, but humor me as I tell you, that's honestly how I felt.

So yes, I have no idea how to breastfeed or what do when your baby is crying and you've tried everything and nothing is working. I don't know explain common core math to a kid who is learning in school. I don't even know where to begin when it comes to teenagers these days.

However, I do know that M&Ms are not a great balanced breakfast. I know that you should make sure your kid learns manners. I know that ketchup usually works for everything. I know that self soothing may break your heart, but in the long run it is okay.

I know being a mom is hard work and no one is perfect. Being a mom I imagine is a lot of trial and error, and even though I don't have any kids myself, I would never tell another parent how to raise theirs.

All I know is a mom should be loving, caring, and understanding. A mom should be her kids biggest fan. A mom is not a kids friend, a mom is someone willing to do anything for their kids safety and well being. A mom doesn't have to be the perfect PTO member or only bring in organic snacks. Last and maybe most importantly, a mom doesn't have to drive mini van or wear really weird fitting jeans.