A Beginner's Guide To The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Let's do the Time Warp again!

219

Most people look forward to scary movie marathons during the weeks leading up to Halloween, but if horror isn't your thing, there are other, less traditional Halloween-themed movies out there. One of the most iconic films shown often during the month of October is The Rocky Horror PIcture Show. Based on a 1973 stage show, Rocky Horror is a campy, silly, and over-the-top musical comedy that only gets better with each re-watch. Even though the film premiered in 1975, the film is still shown in theaters around the country today. Every Friday and Saturday night fans gather to perform as the characters from the film, acting out their every move in front of the screen. Attending a Rocky Horror midnight showing for the first time can be a bit daunting, so here's some advice from a former Transylvanian herself.

1. Watch the film at home first.

It's a good idea to watch the film at least once at home before attending a show. If you go to a midnight showing without any background as to what the film is about, you will most likely be too overwhelmed by the shouting from the audience to understand what is actually going on on screen. It would be even better to screen the film beforehand with a Rocky Horror veteran who can teach you some of the callbacks so you'll be prepared for your first shadow cast show.

2. Get dressed up.

Nothing irks me more than seeing a group of college freshmen attending their first Rocky Horror show wearing t-shirts and sweatpants. There aren't that many opportunities to dress in costume throughout the year, so why not take every chance you are offered? Even if leather pants and heels aren't your thing, the least you can do is throw on some red lipstick and dramatic eyeliner to try to look the part.

3. Embrace the virgin sacrifice.

By far the most memorable aspect of your first trip to a Rocky Horror shadow cast performance will be what us Transylvanians like to call the "virgin sacrifice". Upon walking into the theater, you will be greeted by a cast member and marked with a red lipstick letter "V" if you state that you have never seen Rocky Horror before. Those who are marked will have to participate in some sort of mildly embarrassing competition in front of the whole theater. A favorite activity of mine is the "Transylvanian Trade-Off", in which two people compete to switch clothes as fast as possible.

With the Fox reboot of The Rocky Horror Picture Show coming out in a few weeks, I highly encourage everyone to check out the original film and see a shadow cast perform if you can. It'll definitely be an experience you won't forget.