A Beginner's Guide to Being Positive

A Beginner's Guide to Being Positive

Positivity is about perspective. It’s about finding the good and the beauty, even in things that you might not expect.

124
A Beginner's Guide to Being Positive
Photo by Seth Macey on Unsplash

“Negativity kills.”

We’ve all heard it before, or at least some variation of it, but did you know that it’s actually true? No, you’re not literally going to up and keel over from one negative thought, but studies show that our habits of complaining can very easily impair our judgment when our bodies go into “fight-or-flight” mode and cause other, more permanent, issues. This is all because of a little something called cortisol that’s released every time we complain.

Now, I’ll spare you the boring lecture on the subject, but according to the Foundation for Economic Education, once the stress hormone is released, it can “[impair] your immune system and [make] you more susceptible to high cholesterol, diabetes, heart disease and obesity. It even makes the brain more vulnerable to strokes.” Do we want to live a life like that? Where complaining takes over our lives so much that we forget to look on the bright side of things? That we forget, or maybe just flat-out ignore, that there’s light in this world? Of course we don’t. No one does.

We all complain. There’s no getting around that, but the next time that you find yourself feeling down and ready to vent about how much things totally suck, consider these options instead for a more positive lifestyle:

1. Keep a gratitude journal.

I did this for my positive psychology class, and it was actually a really great practice. For ours, we wrote down three things we were thankful for every morning and then a journal entry about something good that happened that day every night. It sounds tedious, I know, but it’s so much easier than it sounds--and it only takes about 5 minutes out of your day and night. Negativity, just like smoking or picking at your nails, is a habit, and this journal is a great way to break that habit by reflecting back on the more positive aspects of your day.

2. Forgive.

It could be as easy as just letting something go that really upset you that day. Or maybe you want to forgive the friend that randomly cut you off years ago. Or the ex-lover that broke your heart. Forgiveness does wonders not just for the other person, but for yourself, too. After all, what’s the point in holding onto something when it only seems to stress you out even more? And always remember, forgiveness does not always have to equate to letting someone back into your life. Forgiveness is on your terms.

3. Tell someone how much you love them.

When one aspect of your life seems to be going up in flames, it’s easy to take those around us for granted. Take a minute out of your day to let someone know how much you appreciate them and love them. Genuinely think and reflect on the good that they’ve caused your life. Good people in life are sometimes hard to find, so take the time to appreciate the ones in yours. I guarantee you’ll get nothing worse than a smile.

4. Do something that brings you joy.

I’ve discovered recently that it’s very important to have a passion for what you do. To be truly happy, you have to do what you love. My life lesson was about my career, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t relate to our daily activities, too! We should be looking forward to each and every day as a new opportunity, but most days I’m struggling to even drag myself out of bed for work--and I know I’m not the only one. Start finding things that make you happy and try to incorporate them into your everyday life! Join a club or activity, play in a recreational sports league, take a spontaneous beach trip...the world is your oyster!

5. Do something kind for someone else.

Positivity isn’t just about positive thoughts. It’s about positive actions, too, and being the good that you want to see in the world. You see, the thing about positivity is that it has a way of spreading, like a domino effect. One kind action can cause another person to do another kind action which can cause another and so on. And it’s guaranteed to make us feel great! This can be as simple as holding a door open for someone, complimenting someone’s top, or listening to them talk about their day for five minutes. Just being kind makes such a difference in this world, and it can impact someone’s life so much.

I think that positivity is something that’s many are lacking, unfortunately, myself included sometimes. It’s hard to maintain that mindset sometimes, but the practice of reflecting on the good and remaining grateful for what you have in life can make it a little easier. Positivity is about perspective. It’s about finding the good and the beauty, even in things that you might not expect. It’s something that, like anything, is learned over time.

I have a personal goal for 2018: to make it my most positive year yet. This month, I’ll be honest, I didn’t do that great. It felt like I just couldn’t stop myself half the time from complaining. But I’m not going to let that challenge me or make me feel like a failure. I will continue to improve my attitude and live happier each day! I’m slowly learning that positivity and negativity are choices. I can’t do anything about my past choices and negativity, but I can control my future, and I encourage everyone else to do the same! A little positivity in this world can go a long way.