9 Things I Wish I Was Told Before My College Program

Even though I researched the heck out of this program, there were some things I just didn't expect.

5392

In the spring of 2016, I did the Disney College Program at Disney World. I worked quick service in Sunset Ranch Market, nicknamed the "Cosmic Ray's" of Hollywood Studios, from February to June. As someone who's big on planning out things and constantly researching and making lists before I do something major, the Disney College Program left me with so many surprises that nobody could truly warn me about.

1. It is SO EASY to call out if you don't want to go to work, but once you get into the habit of it, you won't know when to stop.

Hannah Montana, Disney Channel

When you're calling out, you don't have to actually call someone and have to deal with awkward "I'm sorry, I can't come in today" guilt--you can just press a button and be done with it. However, this is a really bad habit to put yourself into--suddenly your 1 point turns into three, which turns into a reprimand, and then a second reprimand happens, and then whenever you don't want to work you resort to calling out and you wonder why your paycheck is lower. Of course, if you're really not able to go into work, you should call out, but if it's something like you're at Universal and want to stay behind a little longer (oops) or you're at home and have just one more season left of "The Office", you should probably go to work.

2. Orlando can get cold!

I've lived in Florida all my life and figured that the lowest the winter can get is 60 degrees. I never realized that Central Florida can get down to the 40s during the winter. There was even one day where it was 50 degrees IN APRIL. To you Northerners this is nothing, but to this Florida girl, it was a SHOCK. If you'll be here during the winter, make sure to pack some long sleeve shirts, pants and some basic winter wear.

3. It's really, really, really easy to spend all your paycheck on merchandise and food.

Didn't bring your lunch? Just get something at the parks! Oh look, an ice cream cart! Oh hey, that shirt is really cute! Oooh, Starbucks! WHY AM I LIKE THIS. CPs don't even get that much money anyway, and all of our paychecks go right back to Disney, anyway. My second college program I learned to budget suuuper quick.

4. People are SO much more difficult than they have to be.

Until I started working at Disney, I never realized how much of a headache it could be dealing with all the stupid questions and difficult guests. I once had a guest accuse me of stealing his magicband, when really what probably happened is that since I had to take his magicband number down manually, he probably didn't clip it on correctly and it fell off. After asking a guest which two sides does she want for the kid's meal she's ordering, I spent the next ten minutes explaining that she can get two sides and a drink with the kid's meal. People really leave their brains at home, and it's frustrating, but sometimes makes for interesting story.

5. There will be *those* Part-Time/Full-Time cast members who don't like you just because you're in the college program.

Whether it's because we're getting more hours than a cast member who has more seniority than you or you're simply just part of the college program, there will be those who don't like you because of association with the college program. Unless you're getting bullied or harassed, there's not much you can do but prove that you're here taking your job seriously and ignore those cast members. This is definitely not true for every single cast member, there are lots of very nice cast members, but some of them just have some salt about college programmers in Disney and don't know how to contain it.

6. YOU DON'T NEED SO MANY CLOTHES.

I wore regular people clothes maybe twice a week, yet I brought TWO SUITCASES WORTH OF CLOTHES. This doesn't really go under the category of "what I wish I knew," but more under "what I wish I listened to." You can ask any college program alumni, you really only need about a week's worth of business casual clothes, and maaaaybe 2 weeks worth of clothes. You won't be out of your costume that often, and you'll probably end up buying a bunch of Disney apparel by the end of your program, anyway.

7. You will meet people from all around the world and it's SUPER COOL, but especially if you're far away, you won't know when you'll see each other next, and it SUCKS.

Once it's time to go your separate ways, it's a harsh reality not knowing when you'll see your friends or roommates again--maybe you'll see each other next year, maybe it'll be in five years, maybe it'll be when one of you gets married, you just never know. Thank goodness for social media and snail mail! (Wait, what do you mean no one does snail mail anymore?)

8. You will most likely cry on your last day.

I'm a pretty emotional person, but I keep my feelings contained--I didn't even cry on my last day at work, so I didn't think I would cry over some fireworks. As soon as the first chord struck in Wishes--boom, tears. I sobbed the entire time. I knew this was the end, and I had been dreading it, and I didn't want to leave. At that point, I had regretted not applying to extend, since I didn't think I'd ever get the chance to do the program again, but was happy for the amazing memories and friends I made throughout the program.

9. You'll leave with the regret of things you didn't do, people you didn't see, or places you didn't go, but you will also leave with one thing: the feeling that you did accomplish something amazing.

The Disney College Program was one of the hardest times of college for me so far, and easily one of the hardest jobs I've had. Would I do it again? Yes. Did I do it again? Also yes. (Disney trash) My best advice for an incoming CP would be to have fun, take care of yourself, do everything you can to see and experience all the things on your bucket list--if you don't get to complete it, it just means you'll have to come back!

"Grab onto your dreams and make them come true. for you are the key to unlocking your own magic."
-Happily Ever After Nighttime Spectacular