The Greatest Fears Every Writer Has To Face

I know that it will be painful and strange, but I also know we can all overcome our fears.

12
Easy Way To Write

As a writer, I have two major fears. The first is that no one will read what I write. I spend hours coming up with content, creating clever headlines, and finding the perfect cover photo. I am constantly worrying about how my article is doing and I check on it several times during the week. If no one reads it, I feel awful. Have you ever worked really hard on a project? You spent hours pouring over the computer, researching your topic, and perfecting every last detail only to receive a grade so much lower than you expected with not any explanation of what went wrong. That's what it feels like to have no one read your work. It's like it wasn't good enough to get the "grade" that I worked for.

While I am terrified that no one is reading my work, I am even more afraid that someone is reading it. I share my articles on multiple media outlets associated with my name. What if my friends, acquaintances, and teachers read my work. What if it's terrible, or worse, what if it's terribly written? What if it doesn't make sense? What if they hate it? What if they judge me for it? What if, what if, what if? When I am writing a fun piece and am asked, "What am I writing about?" it is easy to say, "Oh, I am writing about my current favorite song!" But when I am writing about something serious, something deeper, I get uncomfortable. I can't just say I am writing about my feelings or my fears. It becomes awkward. Because what if it's not relatable? What if I am treated differently?

Then suddenly I am more concerned with who's reading it and the what if's rather than the content. My writing has become more about what is the easy thing to write rather than what is the honest thing. Most of my pieces have been about basic stuff, hockey and the holidays. These topics are fun and I love them, but they only scratch the surface of what I am capable of. Those pieces don't reflect who I am as a person or a writer. I have become afraid to share, afraid to write. I have shied away from pieces about my life, my struggles, my past, and my beliefs for the sake of not being uncomfortable.

Now don't get me wrong, it's great to write about the newest TV show, the hottest boy band, or your favorite sport. Trust me, I could write about hockey every day of the week and never run out of things to talk about, but that's not why I started writing. I started writing because I love it and I had something real to say. I wanted to share my stories and my experiences, but that's not what I have done. I have let the fears of the world stop me from being true to myself.

This piece is for me as an open and honest reminder to not be afraid, to write what is real and raw no matter how awkward it may get. I want to challenge myself to remember why I started writing and to push myself outside of my comfort zone. I hope to write like no one is reading and hope that everyone is. I know that it will be painful and strange, but I also know we can all overcome our fears.