14 Ways To Cancel The Back-To-School Blues

These are the ways I'm finding most effective to beat my homesickness.

124

I'm sure any student in the entire world has felt sad about these facts at one point already this year: Summer is over. No more days at the beach, no more running around whining kids at camp and most of all — no more days of sleeping in. It's time for school.

Now if you're like me, you take this in a bittersweet way. My summer consisted of sunburns and running around attempting to discipline misbehaved children at day camp, so hearing those back to school commercials wasn't the end of the world for me. However, while I enjoy learning, I don't enjoy being indoors for a large part of the day. Hence, bittersweet. Here are some ways to get past these back to school blues.

1. If you live in a dorm room, decorate it

I love being creative in any aspect, so I went to my local craft store and DIY'ed the sh*t out of my room. From wall decorations to the way I organized my desk, I stopped at nothing to make my room feel more like home.

2. Invest in an air freshener

This one seems too simple to actually be effective, but when you live in the same building as 100+ young adults who are living on their own, it's going to smell bad. Trust me, it's a small price to pay for being able to breathe through your nose.

3. Get some colored pens and highlighters

It gives your assignments a certain "wow" factor. Plus, the bright colors will remind you to study and get assignments done.

4. Call home often

Call home at least once a day. I know we're all learning independence, but let's not forget the people who helped us get to where we are.

5. Put pictures up

Jamie Silfen

I feel like no dorm room is complete without a couple photos to remind you of your friends, family, and loved ones. I have pictures of me and my mom, dad, brother, sister, and dog. Whenever I get down thinking about how I'm not with them, I look at those pictures to cheer myself up.

6. Break up your routine

Going to class and the dining hall to learn and eat is great, but you can't just do that and homework. By breaking up your routine, you give yourself something to look forward to. What I like to do is 15-20 minutes of work, then a TV break. Changing up the same, boring schedule is so effective and will make school work something not to despise.

7. Join some clubs

There's two ends of this spectrum: the person who goes to class and their room, then the person who gets involved with so much that they have no time to themselves. I advise you go for the happy medium. Join a club or two, get involved, and make your time at school more memorable.

8. Volunteer

We learn about all the bad that happens in the world through our peers, professors, and social media; it's time to do some good. My school has a few clubs and fraternities that specialize in community service. Helping out is easier than you think.

9. Go outside

Natural sunlight is so important for us. It clears our minds. I don't know about you, but when I'm outside, it's pretty hard to be angry.

10. Visit home

My family is very close, so when I go home to surprise my folks, the looks on their faces are priceless.

11. Online shopping

We all do it, now do it with a purpose. Reward yourself after a few months of keeping your grades up. You deserve it.

12. Stick it out

At some point, your school life will become your everyday routine, you won't even be thinking about summer in a few short weeks.