Beasts of the East

As of writing this article, the Miami Dolphins have gone on an amazing 5-0 run. They have beaten deep playoff contenders, such as the Rams, the Cardinals and the 49ers. This is indicative of just how much this team has improved in just one season.

Last season, the Miami Dolphins were a team without an identity. They had fired their coach of 3 years in Adam Gase and took a chance in first time head coach in Brian Flores

Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores@BenVolin

Brian Flores was a member of the New England Patriots. He joined the Patriots in 2004 as a Scouting Assistant and worked his way to defensive playcalling, gaining fame for helping to shut down the LA Rams' prolific offense in Superbowl 53. He left the Patriots in the 2019 offseason and took on the job as the Head Coach of the Miami Dolphins.

Through his first season as Head Coach, he and the team as a whole had to go through various "growing pains." Flores started his tenure as Head Coach losing 7 straight games. In addition, Flores and the Dolphins let go of many key and perennial pieces, such as Minkah Fitzpatrick, Laremy Tunsil, Cameron Wake, and Ryan Tannehill. The Dolphins played most of the season at half capacity, half of their team essentially being those brought up from their Practice Squad. Many analysts went as far as to call this Dolphins team,"The Worst Team in NFL history. This team was officially in full rebuild mode.

However, even with all of these dismal events, this first season under Brian Flores showed immense promise. Starting in Week 9, the Miami Dolphins went 5-4 in their last 9 games. This all culminated in a breathtaking victory against the New England Patriots in Week 17. This victory pushed the Patriots down to the 3rd seed, which could be argued, contributed to their shocking loss to the Tennessee Titan in the Wild Card round.

Tua Tagovailoa @Tua

That 5-11 record led the Dolphins to draft who they hoped would be the future face of their franchise. During the 2020 draft, the Miami Dolphins selected Tua Tagovailoa with the Fifth overall pick. Tua was the star quarterback who had led the University of Alabama to a National Championship. Unfortunately, during his final season, he sustained a severe hip injury. This was on the mind of the Miami Dolphins organization and fans. Regardless, they decided to take a big chance on this young quarterback.

Tua Tagovailoa sat behind veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick for 5 games, getting his first minutes in the waning seconds of a blowout victory against the New York Jets. He then got his first start against the LA Rams. During this game, he put up decent numbers with 93 yards passing with 1 touchdown. Overall, this was a defensive victory on part of the Dolphins.

However, Tua really shone against the Arizona Cardinals, where he faced off against quarterback phenom, Kyler Murray. Tua put up 248 yards with 2 touchdowns. This game went down to the wire, with the Cardinals missing a late field goal that would have tied the game.

Jakeem Grant with a kickoff return@MiamiDolphins

The Dolphins have a bright future ahead. The Dolphins have 7 games left on their schedule with the only real toss-up games being the Chiefs, the Raiders, and the Bills, which are all still very much winnable games for this Dolphins team. Many analysts say that realistically, the Dolphins could very well finish the season at 11-5 and could stake their place atop their division. Only time will tell how far this team can go this season, but this is a season that Dolphins players and fans should be proud of and excited for.