It's Okay To Be YOU-nique

It's Okay To Be YOU-nique

It's time to start being unique and not caring about the materialistic items that others do/don't have! I want people to be THEMSELVES and to not think that they have to have the next best thing to be a better more fashionable person...

124
It's Okay To Be YOU-nique
personal image

Okay so first off this post isn't supposed to only be for the girls, but because I am a girl it is easier to put myself in this situation. Now that that topic is out of the way, let's talk about being unique. When you are on campus, or even going out or to a party what do you usually notice first? "Wow, that top that girl has on is so cute!" or "Damn I really wish that I had *blank*" There is a lot of materialistic thoughts that go through any woman's head, and probably men too. I just want to point out that just because you do have these thoughts doesn't mean that you have to go out of your way to get the same outfit you saw a girl wearing at a party; especially if its a $70 outfit. Let's stop trying to be in with the fad. Sometimes its easy to get caught in the materialistic world, trust me I am super guilty of always being the person who wants the best and newest item that comes out. Whether its clothes, iPhones, Apple watches, etc. But sometimes you have to stop and think... "Is this item really worth spending this much money on?", "Am I ever going to use this?" and the most important question "Am I just buying this because I want to fit in/ all of my friends have it"?

Alright, let's just throw some examples down on the table, shall we? When you're walking around campus how many people do you see with a Hydroflask, Apple Watch, Mac Pro computers or all of the above? Because personally, I've seen so many! And I am not trying to call anyone out right now because *cough cough* I have all of those things. Funny right? I'm writing a blog about how to be unique but I still have all of the "basic" things that every person has. I want to be the person who doesn't care what people think about them. It harder to do though than it looks. I just want to let you guys know that what you wear, have, drink out of or type on DOES NOT define the type of person you are! These materialistic items don't make you nicer or even more, fun to hang out with! And if you have people in your life that think those items do, then maybe you have some decisions to make (mic drop). Take it from me, yes I am a shopaholic. Anything new, cute or in style that I can get my hands on is what I want, BUT I didn't get these expensive items that I have now just because I needed or wanted to fit in. I got my Hydroflask for free at REI because I had a dividend, which basically means the company gives you money back at the end of the year because you're a regular member and you spend too much money there (me to a tee). I got my new 2017 MacBook Pro because the 2010 MacBook Pro I had before this one crapped out on me during finals week of last semester, and I was kind of desperate and stressed the F out. And last but not least my Apple Watch... well I bought it because I wanted it and thought it was cool (lol wow Sabrina), BUT IN MY DEFENSE it was on sale.

All I am trying to say to anyone reading this blog is that your materialistic items don't define the person you are. It has nothing to do with a persons personality, attitude, whether they could be your friend or not (I hope). I just want people to understand that you never know how the people got those apple watches, or what they had to go through to pay for that Hydroflask or even if their old HP computer crapped out on them last minute and they wanted to have a better computer they could know and trust would work for a longer period of time. Don't judge or base people on the items they have, or don't have.THEMSELVES and to not think that they have to have the next best thing to be a better more fashionable person...