So, You Think You're Ready For Move-In... Think Again.

Do you have everything you'll need to make it through the year?

63

The truth is, many incoming freshmen don't really know what they'll need. Sure, your school will send the generic list of "essentials" to bring. Of course, you know to bring the basics. However, this list encompasses the things that, in my view, are truly essential to your comfort and convenience. You may not have thought to bring these, so please read on.

Storage Bins

While bringing storage bins is obvious by itself, the point I'd like to raise is the number of bins you should be bringing. However many bins you think you should bring to your dorm, bring an extra one. As I was preparing to head to school for my freshman year, I got a text message from one of my roommates, who had moved in early. The message pretty much said to bring, "storage bins. Plenty of storage bins." He was right; and in hindsight, we likely could've used several more.

There are even storage bins that double as cushioned ottomans. Not only do these store your excess junk, but they're also a comfortable place to sit for when your friends come over.

Command Strips/Hooks

As with the storage bins, the idea behind bringing Command Strips should be fairly obvious. At the same time, many incoming freshmen seriously underestimate the amount they should buy. Command Strips are (in my experience) really the only things that will stick to dorm walls in the long-term. I tried tape for my first month or so, but eventually, that gave out. Furthermore, Command Strips create less of a hassle when you take everything down for move-out.

Command Strips will be helpful for hanging posters, photographs, even holiday decorations. Command Hooks are great for hanging your bath towel, small bags, or anything you'd want to quickly grab and take on the go.

Dish Soap/Rag

When you're in college, you'll notice that lots of stuff won't get done by itself. At home, if you leave dirty dishes on the kitchen counter, it will eventually end up getting cleaned or put in the dishwasher by someone else. In college, you won't have a dishwasher, nor will you have parents to pick up after you.

This is where having a dishrag and small bottle of dish soap comes in handy. When you have several coffee-stained mugs and bowls with mac & cheese crud piled on your desk, it's worth taking 5 minutes to clean it yourself. Yes, you can use the soap and paper towels provided in the communal bathrooms. However, do you really think those will compare to actual, brand name cleaning materials? Trust me when I say that the money dropped on these items will be well spent.

Bathroom Cleaning Materials

Most of what I mention here can be disregarded if your dorm has communal bathrooms. However, if you and your roommate share a bathroom with the room next door, this is for you.

Needless to say, sharing a bathroom with others your own age can be less than pleasant. Various odors, spills, and stains are among the less pleasurable experiences. As I go into my sophomore year, I've had to think about stuff to bring. While the list goes on and on, here are some basics to bring:

--Antibacterial Wipes/Spray

--Toilet Cleaner

--Mirror Cleaner

--Air Freshener

--Sponges/Towels

--Extra Toilet Paper

--Paper Towels

Much of these can fit inside a small plastic caddy, so be sure to invest in one of those as well. Much of these items can be purchased at Wal Mart or Target. Even if you don't have a dorm with a semi-private bathroom, certain items on this list can still be useful. Antibacterial wipes and paper towels are great for cleaning up spills in your dorm.

Air Fresheners

Needless to say, living in a small room with other people your own age isn't going to be the most pleasant experience when it comes to smells. Natural BO, piles of dirty laundry, and leftover food don't exactly create the freshest of odors.

Buying some sort of air freshener can easily solve this problem. This can come in the form of a bottle of Febreze or Lysol spray, or small, free-standing pods. In my freshman dorm, my roommates and I rotated who was responsible for buying new air freshener when the old supply ran out. One of us bought it one month, the second after that, then the third.

Buy air freshener, and your sense of smell (and that of your guests) will thank you later.

Surge Protector

In many dorms, there is a limited number of outlets for your electronic equipment. Moreover, they're not always placed in the most convenient of locations. Buying a surge protector allowed for more convenience. I was able to plug in my Keurig machine and chargers for my phone, laptop, and iPad to one location. Most of the cords for these devices weren't particularly long, so it was better than having to reach further behind my dresser to find an outlet.

I say "surge protector" instead of a basic "power strip" because of what many dorms will require. Because of fire codes, your dorm may ask for you to bring a surge protector. The main difference is that a surge protector is better equipped is to (obviously) protect against a power surge than a basic power strip. Most have a light that will go out when there is a risk. In my dorm, we had regular fire safety inspections, and they would confiscate items that were deemed unsafe or unsatisfactory.

Surge protectors and power strips allow for the same amount of devices to be plugged in, and they cost roughly the same. When you do your shopping, go for the safer option and get a surge protector.

Small Holder for Coins/Spare Objects

This didn't actually occur to me until my mother pointed it out. She basically said that more often than not, you'll accumulate a high amount of random, spare objects. This could range from spare change to push pins to paper clips. Tossing these items into a desk drawer will create two main flaws:

1) They take up valuable drawer space, and

2) It'll be difficult to find them when you actually need them.

This is why it's worthwhile to bring a small something to leave on your desk to place this stuff in. It could honestly be as simple as a clean, plastic drinking cup.

Bulletin Board

Investing in a small bulletin board can help with organization, but it can also serve as a form of communication. Often times, I would use my bulletin board to hang cards and flyers for events, promotions, or restaurants around campus. Many dorm-ready bulletin boards come with push pins, and most will provide Command strips to hang them to your wall. If not, this is one way you can put your Command strips to good use.

Snacks/Microwavable Foods

If you've ever heard the stereotype of college students living off of Ramen Noodles, believe me when I say that there is some truth to that. It's most certainly not the healthiest of options, but there are times when it can be considered the most convenient one.

I go to school in New England, where we get extremes in terms of weather. One minute it's nice and sunny, the next minute it's pouring. You more than likely won't want to schlep across campus in the rain for food, so having microwavable or pre-prepared meals will come in handy. Aside from Ramen, I've purchased microwavable Mac and Cheese and Hot Pockets. Again, not very healthy, but it sure is convenient.

Duffel Bag

When you move in, most (if not all) of your clothing will be brought up in a larger suitcase or bag. However, you likely won't need to use these items again until you go home for an extended period of time. That's where having a small duffel bag will come in handy.

If you plan on leaving your dorm for a short period of time (maybe a night or two), you won't feel the need to pack excess amounts of clothes. This was the case when I spent the night at a hotel when my parents visited me for homecoming weekend. I really needed an extra set of clothes and basic toiletries, so my small duffel came in handy.

A duffel bag can also be used as a gym bag. Storing your sneakers, gym clothes, and stuff for showering in this easily transportable bag will be helpful.

I hope this list helps. Good luck with move in and the start of the semester!