Be Kind When You Dine

Be Kind When You Dine

There is a lesson to be learned from observing other customers in a restaurant.
3

A little while ago, my dad and I would go out to lunch every week or so at a place called GK’s Red Dog Tavern in Morristown, New Jersey. The tavern, connected to Rod’s Steak & Seafood Grille, is a great place to go for either lunch or dinner. The food tastes good, the service is great, and the atmosphere is fantastic.

My dad and I were at one of our weekly lunches when we heard some customers behind us rudely telling their waiter that his lunch had been brought out “too early.” The waiter, who just so happened to be our waiter as well, told the customer that he would take it back to the kitchen. The customer, who was visibly irritated at this point, claimed that the waiter would just bring it out cold later and wanted the kitchen to make a completely new one. My dad and I didn’t pay enough attention to them to see what happened later on, but we did make sure to thank our waiter and tell him how good of a job he was doing for us.

The point of my telling this story is that customers need to take more care to be respectful and kind to waiters and waitresses. It isn’t that difficult to do. Sometimes a waiter’s pay is mainly from tips, so with that in mind, he or she could already be having a bad day. Making their day worse by telling them they brought your food out “too early” (a very rare complaint, I would think) and berating them for it is completely unnecessary. Even if you feel the need to complain, and you know that you are completely justified in doing so, you should do so politely. However, that doesn’t mean you should be passive and afraid to speak up. Don’t be afraid to be assertive, but also remember not to be a flat out jerk.

It never hurts to be friendly with waiters and waitresses at the restaurant in which you’re dining. My dad does it all the time, no matter where we go to eat. As a result, he ends up making friends with those people working at the restaurants. It’s always good to have more friends, or even just connections in general. So please, the next time you feel the need to be rude towards your waiter, remember to be kind when you dine.