7 Easy Ways to Reduce your Carbon Footprint

Without changing your whole lifestyle

34

We all know that the planet isn't in good shape, but what can we do to help? Most people aren't aware how detrimental their daily actions are to the environment. Here you can find out how you can make less of a negative impact on our Earth and reduce your carbon footprint!

Go without meat for one day a week (or more).

cdn.pixabay.com

The meat production industry is hugely detrimental to the environment. Livestock farming contributes to 18% of human greenhouse gas emissions. If we decrease the amount of meat we eat, we can decrease the amount of meat produced, and decrease this number! Most people have no idea how bad meat production is for the environment, but if you really look into it, it will make you want to be a vegetarian...

Thrift shop your clothing instead of buying from fast fashion empires.

Thrift shop

media.defense.gov

Did you know that the textile industry produces 1.2 billion tons of greenhouse gases every year? But that's not all, also more than 15 million tons of used textile waste is generated each year in the United States, and the amount has doubled over the last 20 years! That is insane. Buying from thrift stores as opposed to these big chain stores is a great way to combat the not environmentally friendly textile industry.

Switch to a biodegradable toothbrush.

live.staticflickr.com

Plastic toothbrushes just sit in landfills when they're thrown away. If you switch to a biodegradable material, such as bamboo, then you won't be adding your plastic toothbrush to the trash.

Use reusable water bottles and coffee cups.

cdn.pixabay.com

Oh you didn't get a plastic straw at Starbucks? Great! But what about the plastic container? Many coffee shops, including Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks, will fill up your to-go cup instead of providing you with a cup... and usually filling up your own cup is cheaper, so you're saving the planet and money. You can do the same thing with a reusable water bottle and fill it as you go with a Brita or at a water fountain. Reusable water bottles are also fun because you can sticker bomb them! Stop making waste from single use drink containers!

Unplug things that aren't use.

If something is plugged in but isn't on, there is still energy being transferred. Unplug things you aren't using to save energy (and money on your electric bill). For example, switch off your power strip before you leave or unplug appliances like toasters when they aren't in use.

Recycle paper products.

cdn.pixabay.com

Many people forget how many paper products can be recycled. Your box that your Amazon order was shipped in? Recycle it. Your empty tissue box? Recycle it? All of your papers from class? Recycle them. Your empty box of pasta/granola bars/ anything? Recycle it. We need to save the trees so recycle your paper! (Especially since everyone is using paper straws now!)

Bring reusable bags to the grocery store.

This one is SO easy! The amount of plastic bags we use is so unnecessary. Just bring your cute reusable ones, and you'll be set!