The Debate Between Public And Private Schools Depends On You

Each has their weaknesses and strengths, but which is right for you?

295

Which is better?

This has always been a debate because of the issues and advantages of both. Too many times, one is assumed better because of some things like the parent's personal schooling, or maybe there are some issues with the school itself. But I do want to talk about some things that people don't know about the other. As someone who grew up in both, it's easier for me to see both sides with those benefits impartially.

Public school is all about the community. Most of the funding is done through the local taxes, so if the community cares about the benefits of education or is a community that is generally good, then the public school will have a larger budget to work with, being able to bring in better teachers and resources. So if you are moving to a neighborhood and want a good school for your children, this might be an important fact to keep in mind.

Public schools also are honest. In a private school you don't get the full view of current society, with all its good and bad. Sometimes this is a good thing and sometimes it isn't. Of course you will still see bad things in a private school, but it tends to be more sheltered from things the school does not approve of, especially if it has a religious base. Also, religious private schools will be teaching their moral values more than a public school that cares more about the education. But again, these values are more focused and collectively agreed upon by that community then a public school.

Private school are based on the funding the school establishes as the tuition and it is all from the parents. This could make it difficult for a family with less flexible income to send their child to, even if it might be the better choice compared to the public school in their area. But with that price difference their school becomes more like a business, more responsive to parents and the higher standard of education to live up the the price tag they give.

On the other side of things, there has to be the consideration of what the student needs. As a Christian, someone would have the more difficult choice sometimes if they are concerned about things such as science and literature that may be more secularly focused in a public school verses a private christian school. But they will eventually have to learn how to deal with people of opposing viewpoints in the real world. For them, public school makes sense if they feel willing to face those difficulties. A public school in the area might even be a really good one because of that community and so maybe it isn't the worst idea. All in all, the choice between the two should not be considered black and white, and needs should be weighed in choosing the best path.