A Basic Guide To Understanding Black Lives Matter

BLM 101.

900
Observer.com

There are, unfortunately, a lot of people who know nothing about Black Lives Matter and write it off as either black people trying to get special treatment again or a homegrown terrorist group. Both of these subpar explanations for the BLM movement are extremely laughable but also downright disrespectful. One I can definitely say as a black person that I don’t want special treatment in life, I just want to be treated fairly. And two putting such a non-threatening movement in the same class as the KKK or neo-Nazis is disgusting. Last I checked, BLM never hanged anyone for the color of their skin or decided that their race is the most powerful and that anyone that does not look like or act like them is the devil’s work. What hurts the most is that the people who either feel this way about the BLM movement or say All Lives Matter when Black Lives Matter is ever said, know absolutely nothing about it. They refuse to learn what Black Lives Matter supporters stand for and want in life.

With that being said, I just feel the need that there has to be clarification for those who are still confused.

Let’s start with the basic: the definition. “Black Lives Matter is a chapter-based national organization working for the validity of Black life. We are working to (re)build the Black liberation movement.” This comes directly from the Black Lives Matter official website. This movement started because of the unrightfully killing of Trayvon Martin by the infamous George Zimmerman. Zimmerman was acquitted of all charges. BLM ultimate goal is to create a world where black people, no matter sexual orientation, gender identity, or capability, are “no longer systematically and intentionally targeted for demise.”

Basically, BLM is an organization trying to achieve the same rights for black people that white people have. That’s not terrible; that’s just common sense. Everyone, no matter who they are, should be treated equally.

So why do some people hate the saying, "Black lives matter?" Because they think we are saying only black lives matter. But we never said that. Those who don’t agree with this movement have decided to add that word. We know all lives do matter, but as of right now, they clearly don’t. The amount of police brutality towards unarmed or non-threatening black men and women with no repercussions of their actions beside paid leave shows that all lives do not matter. Not all lives matter when black men are being incarcerated at a higher rate and given longer sentences than white men for the same crime. All lives didn’t matter when Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old boy, was sitting at a park with a toy gun and was killed by police officers.

No one said that my life matters more than yours, or that yours doesn’t matter at all. We are just saying that we want ours to matter just as much as everyone else does. Simple as that.

Another thing is that a lot of non-supporters like to think that Black Lives Matter supporters are 110 percent against police. And that is just ridiculous. We just want reform in the judicial system so that police officers can be held accountable for their crimes, especially when they kill unarmed/non-threatening black people, or anyone for that matter. Campaign Zero, a police reform operation associated with Black Lives Matter, has an amazing nine part vision on how to end police violence in America.

So, let’s sum up everything, because a lot was said.

1. Black Lives Matter is a movement to build up black people and to teach everyone that our lives are important too and should not be easily disposable as they have been to many.

2. It is not a terrorist group, we are not killing anyone and do not wish harm on anyone.

3. Stop saying all lives matter because as of right now, black lives don’t matter to anyone but black people.

Lastly, it is possible to live in a world where cops and civilians don’t have to fear each other. Cops choose to wear that uniform, and we respect them for that. What black people don’t get to choose is the color of their skin, and no one respects us for that. So you can still choose to hate BLM for some nonexistent reason but know that we will continue to fight for equality for our brothers and sisters.