Banning straws is a quick fix

Banning Straws Is A Band-Aid To Our Ocean Problem

Straws make up 4% of our ocean pollution

48

When I first realized the push to ban straws was such a serious movement I couldn't help but laugh. I have seen where people will comment on why it doesn't help but that it's inspiring people are trying. I don't think that it is inspiring at all and here's why:

First I will start with a percentage. Straws make up 4% of the plastic pollution in our oceans. Four.

I did not think people were all that serious about straws being such a big issue until I found out Starbucks had stopped using straws. Starbucks is a great place to start with a movement because of the number of consumers and the weight they hold all around the world. Anyone who loves Starbucks will support their movement to stop using plastic straws, but that's as far as they have gone with that. As they still use plastic lids and cups which both hold more weight than straws ever will in ocean pollution. But Starbucks isn't the only place that has banned straws. It has become a huge movement all around the world.

I see so many adverts, every single day, pushing people to use less plastic in their daily lives. Go without a straw, bag your groceries with a reusable bag, and use more reusable bottles than plastic bottles. People push and push and do all that they can to advertise ignoring that the problem is much bigger than our daily use of plastic.

Fishing gear makes up the biggest percentage of our ocean pollution. Fishing Nets alone make up nearly half of ocean plastic pollution. 46% to be exact. But you don't see that. You don't see the lives of marine life taken by unused "ghost nets". Instead, you see that we should stop using plastic straws when we go out to eat once a week. You see people doing their best to eliminate plastic from their life completely in hopes to save the ocean. The consumers of plastic products and those who use plastic every day are the said problem to plastic pollution, ignoring that those who spend the most time in our oceans are the bigger problems.

And do you know why people go out into our oceans with such massive amounts of fishing gear? Because seafood is in such high demand. Those who tell us to stop using plastic and to save our oceans are still eating the marine life they are trying to save.

And why exactly are we protecting our oceans when we kill to eat and for sport? We are ironically trying to save our ocean life by doing all that we can besides not eating them or fishing for them. The same way we are scared of being eaten by a shark when hunting sharks is a huge sport. We kill more sharks than sharks will ever kill us and, yet, we are scared of them. What better way to save our marine life than to leave them alone?

As a vegan, I hear how hard it is to give up certain meats including seafood. I get that, but I don't hear how hard it is to give up plastic to play a part in the community trying to save our oceans. They have made metal straws, even as portable keychains, so you can cut out your use of plastic straws. As if that's the problem.

Lol, use your metal straw to wash down the seafood you eat. Love it.

I'm not the most educated on this subject but I think you get the point. Banning straws and our daily plastic products aren't going to save our oceans completely. And I'm not ignoring that we do use lots of plastic that does end up in our oceans because we do. But what we are ignoring, and ignore every day, is that our biggest ocean problems are not our straws, our plastic bags, or our plastic cups. It's the hunting, killing, and eating of our marine life. Straws are just a band-aid.