New Band Alert: Neck Deep

New Band Alert: Neck Deep

Life's not out to get you.

92
New Band Alert: Neck Deep

I live for new music. When I hear about a new band, it’s extremely exciting, especially when it’s a pop/punk/alternative band that doesn't come around very often these days. This band isn’t exactly new new, but they were formed in 2012 and their two full studio albums only came out in 2014 and 2015. Their most recent album, "Life’s Not Out to Get You," is what got me interested in their music because so many of the tracks are melodically and lyrically nostalgic (not to mention catchy). So if you’re into their type of music I highly recommend checking them out. The album title does a good job of characterizing the songs on the album in that most of the songs deal with finding the strength to overcome whatever is getting you down in life. Here is a review of their most recent album.

"Citizens Of Earth"

The first track, “Citizens Of Earth,” begins the album and sets it up to seem like more of a rougher and tougher album than it really is, but the song is still strong. It sounds more like an alternative/rock song than pop/punk, but I like how the band displays their versatility. It kind of starts off the album by saying, "We don’t mess around.”

"Threat Level Midnight"

The sound of this song exemplifies the tone of the album as a whole. It’s a solid track and features a structure that Neck Deep seems to use often, which is a pre-chorus that is almost as long as the actual chorus. However, this structure works for them because it keeps their songs from getting repetitive and their songs feel richer with the amount of lyrics and ideas they put into each song.

"Can’t Kick Up The Roots"

Considering it's the first single off of the album, one would expect this song to be one of the best -- and in my opinion, it really is. Like the title, it’s a very relatable song about home always being a part of you and all the memories that remain there. It’s a catchy, “head-banging” song that has a punk-summer vibe to it, lyrically and melodically. It's one of my favorites on the album. (Thank you to my sister for putting it on a burned CD, leaving it in the car for me to discover and allowing me to fall in love with it.)

"Kali Ma"

One great thing about Neck Deep is that a majority of their songs take on themes other than love and heartbreak, which is rare, considering a lot of music tends to center on these themes. However, this is the first track that takes on those feelings and ideas. In that sense, this song is refreshing after the first three tracks and I like it in the sense that Neck Deep turns things around. Like the first three tracks, this one is great as well.

"Gold Steps"

This is my favorite song on the album for sure. I’ve been listening to music all my life and have heard songs from all ends of the earth, and I can honestly say this song features some of the most motivating and inspiring lyrics I’ve heard in a pop/punk song. They are simple, but they always pick me up whenever I listen to it. Not to mention the song is awesome. It’s a great song to pump you up. The lyrics are the best, and the guitar and drums sync perfectly. The bridge is one of my favorite bridges I’ve heard in a really long time. What can I say? This song is a keeper.

"Lime St."

This song is done in a way that feels more like a letter directed toward someone specific, and I love it in that respect. Sometimes, by the middle of an album, it feels like every song is one and the same, but "Lime St." changes up the mood of the album. The band created a track that feels personal but keeps the pop/punk vibe to accompany it. It’s a nice way to move into the next track that moves back to a rock/alternative sound.

"Serpents"

Given that this is an attempt at an album review, I have to say that this song isn’t a favorite of mine, but it grew on me the more I listened to it. It has more of an intense rock sound to it compared to the others, but the lyrics are dark in a vividly intriguing way. I really appreciate how the band made this song different than their others, and it is a really nice kind of intermission before the rest of the album continues.

"The Beach Is For Lovers (Not Lonely Losers)"

One thing I like about this song is the slight buildup to the chorus. In Neck Deep’s previous songs, they start out with full guitar riffs and hard drum beats, but this song is a buildup of just guitars and vocals and then the drums come in after the short intro. Then, during the first verse, it uses mostly just vocals and drums. These change-ups are what makes this song really cool to listen to.

"December"

This is Neck Deep’s only slower, raw ballad on the album, and because of that it really is highlighted as a memorable track. It means a lot more when a band writes a ballad when they are not known for them. It's always great to hear a band slow it down and write a deeper song. I like the idea of this song. It's about losing someone you should have cherished or treated better and not realizing it until they are gone. Well done with this one, Neck Deep.

"Smooth Seas Don’t Make Good Sailors"

Being my second favorite track on the album, the title says it all. The lyrics are great, the beat is fantastic, the melody is killer -- and that’s why it’s one of the best. I don’t even have much to say about it other than that you should listen to it and just love it for yourself.

"I Hope This Comes Back To Haunt You"

The way this song teases that it is going to be a slow ballad and then suddenly picks up out of nowhere is amazing. It goes back and forth. It starts out slow, then the guitar picks up. It then goes back to slower but keeps the guitar, and it seems like that would sound off, but it really doesn't if you just listen to the song. I also love how the lyrics of the song deal with the guy being heartbroken, but then once the bridge comes the message changes, telling the audience that, although it sucks, “life goes on, and things they change… say I’ll be OK.” Awesome song.

"Rock Bottom"

I’m so glad Neck Deep decided to end the album with this song because it follows the message they continue to get across about how “life’s not out to get you” and that you should find a way to move on. The song itself is another favorite of mine -- maybe it’s just me, but I love the last lyric at the end: “resurrect and start again.” It makes me feel like you can start the album all over again because, even though you’re going to cycle through the same thoughts and feelings your whole life, you have to keep moving through it.

All in all, this is a solid album and I can’t wait to continue listening to it for years to come. Also, I can’t wait to see what else Neck Deep has in store. They’ve already gained a longtime fan.