Another school year has come and gone, this one arguably more stressful than others (who knew Buddhist studies would not be relaxing? Not I during my enrollment window last semester when I thought it would be a great idea). Regardless, it's now summertime once again and it wouldn't be summer without sitting outside on a beach or around a pool, reading a book that no one is going to ask you to write a 4-6 analytical analysis essay on.

Once again, Bad Readers, I will be picking one from each category and reviewing them at the end of each session (the end dates for each session are below)! Feel free to read alongside with my bolded choices, my Top 5 in each category, or just any book that you've been excited to read but have had literally no time to even think about. Happy trails, all my bad reading friends!

Session 1: May 23

Session 2: June 13

Session 3: July 11

Session 4: August 8

Session 5: September 5

Session 6 *BONUS JONAS*: October 3

Psychological Thrillers

The true crime novel McNamara was writing up until her sudden death that recently reignited interest in the Golden State Killer case and helped police catch the serial killer.

- "I’ll Be Gone in the Dark"

- "The Talented Mr. Ripley"

- "Adjustment Day"

- "The Hellfire Club"

- "The Heart Goes Last"

Beach Reads

Calvino's collection of autobiographical writing includes letters, prose, and interviews, all of which fit together to tell the story of his life through World War II and into 1960's America.

- "At Freddie’s"

- "The Rocks"

- "Palo Alto"

- "What Remains"

- "Hermit in Paris"

Biographies, Essays, Memoirs

Former FBI Director James Comey's highly-anticipated and publicized take on Trump, his infamous firing, and the state of the presidency under the current administration.

- "Fascism: A Warning"

- "A Higher Loyalty"

- "Wild"

- "The Opposite of Loneliness"

- "My Life With Bob"

Books That Everyone Is Talking About

The first comedic novel to win the Pulitzer Prize follows a novelist as he tries (hysterically) to avoid attending his ex-boyfriend's wedding.

- "Less"

- "Russian Roulette"

- "Little Fires Everywhere"

- "War On Peace: The End of Diplomacy and the Decline of American Influence"

- "The Female Persuasion"

Books That Might Break Your Heart

The novel follows a young French girl and her father through their escape from a German-occupied Paris and a young German boy, recruited by the Nazis who begins to grow painfully aware of what his work does. The two separate stories ultimately become entwined with one another during the Second World War.

- "A Little Life"

- "Did You Ever Have a Family?"

- "All the Light We Cannot See"

- "Dear Madam President"

- "Promise Me, Dad"

You Judged This Book By Its Cover, Didn’t You?

In this novel within a novel, the protagonist writes a revisionist history in which President Kennedy was never assassinated and other Vietnam veterans either have their memories wiped or roam the country in rouge parties.

- "Hystopia"

- "The Epiphany Machine"

- "Fates & Furies"

- "The Idiot"

- "The Mars Room"