Break Bad Habits With These Simple Tricks

Make this year your year.

9

With a new year comes fresh inspiration to become our best selves. But self-improvement doesn't come easy. Often, we build up habits that take a lot of work to break. However, it's worth the time to better yourself in order to become a better you.

Write about what you want to change.

Green Chameleon

It's important to understand what it is that's driving you to want to be different. Make sure you're specific with what the issue is and how it affects your life. Keeping a journal on your journey will keep you motivated to reach your goal.

Make a list of goals.

My Life Journal

Keep your goals small. For example, if you want to stop biting your nails, start by preventing yourself from biting only one nail. Make it a goal to stop biting one nail a week. By slowly weaning yourself off of a habit, it makes it easier to break.

Avoid what tempts you, but stay patient.

Glen Carrie

Avoiding temptation is an important goal of every habit. But keep in mind that although your goal is to stop overall, you need to make small exceptions sometimes. If you're trying to eat healthier, have a "cheat meal" once a week. You are way more likely to stay consistent if you aren't as constrictive.

Replace bad habits with good choices.

Jade Stephens

Even if the new choices aren't directly linked to your bad habit, they are still a distraction from what you're trying to avoid doing. Stay concentrated on something positive!

Find what fuels your bad habit.

Toimetaja tõlkebüroo

There is a reason you picked up your habits. But unlike brushing our teeth every day because our parents made us when we were young, nobody told us to start our bad habits. Often we can link these habits to anxiety, depression, or other negative contributors. This isn't always a simple thing to figure out, but there is no better way to eliminate a habit than to eliminate (or weaken) the source.

From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web