With a new year comes fresh inspiration to become our best selves. But self-improvement doesn't come easy. Often, we build up habits that take a lot of work to break. However, it's worth the time to better yourself in order to become a better you.
Write about what you want to change.
It's important to understand what it is that's driving you to want to be different. Make sure you're specific with what the issue is and how it affects your life. Keeping a journal on your journey will keep you motivated to reach your goal.
Make a list of goals.
Keep your goals small. For example, if you want to stop biting your nails, start by preventing yourself from biting only one nail. Make it a goal to stop biting one nail a week. By slowly weaning yourself off of a habit, it makes it easier to break.
Avoid what tempts you, but stay patient.
Avoiding temptation is an important goal of every habit. But keep in mind that although your goal is to stop overall, you need to make small exceptions sometimes. If you're trying to eat healthier, have a "cheat meal" once a week. You are way more likely to stay consistent if you aren't as constrictive.
Replace bad habits with good choices.
Even if the new choices aren't directly linked to your bad habit, they are still a distraction from what you're trying to avoid doing. Stay concentrated on something positive!
Find what fuels your bad habit.
There is a reason you picked up your habits. But unlike brushing our teeth every day because our parents made us when we were young, nobody told us to start our bad habits. Often we can link these habits to anxiety, depression, or other negative contributors. This isn't always a simple thing to figure out, but there is no better way to eliminate a habit than to eliminate (or weaken) the source.
- 10 Eating Habits You Have In College That Will Disgust Your 30 ... ›
- 5 New Year's Resolutions That Should Be Yearly ›
- Why I can't "just stop" my bad habit ›
- 6 Morning Habits You Must Avoid ›
- 10 Toxic Habits You Need To Break ›
- Better Habits Are Your Answer To Building A Better Life ›
- Break The Loop ›
- What Are BFRBs? Compulsive Behaviors That Aren't 'Just Bad Habits' ›
- (Realistic) New Year's Resolution Ideas for Diet & Exercise ›
- Living Alone Forced Me To Improve My Bad Habits ›
- Bad Habits and the Best Ways to Quit Them | Reader's Digest ›
- Maxwell - Bad Habits (directors cut) - YouTube ›
- Bad habit - Wikipedia ›
- How to Break Up with Your Bad Habits ›
- The Last Shadow Puppets - Bad Habits (Official Video) - YouTube ›
- 20 of the 'worst bad habits' - how many are you guilty of? ›
- 13 Bad Habits You Need to Quit Right Away ›
- 283 Bad Habits (The ULTIMATE List of Bad Habits) ›
- The Big List Of Bad Habits | Pavlok ›
- How to Change Unhealthy Habits | Psychology Today ›
- Judson Brewer: A simple way to break a bad habit | TED Talk ›
- Why Is It So Hard to Change Bad Habits? | Psychology Today ›
- This Is The Way To Change Your Bad Habits ›
- How to Change Bad Habits (with Pictures) - wikiHow ›
- 7 Steps to Changing a Bad Habit ›
- How to Break a Bad Habit (and Replace It With a Good One) ›
- How To Change Your Bad Habits - The Easiest Way - YouTube ›
- How to Break Bad Habits and Change Behaviors | American Heart ... ›
- Want to Break a Bad Habit? Science Says Do These 4 Things | Inc ... ›