5 TERRIBLE Dating Habits To Leave in 2020

Because let's be honest- we could all use some work.

21

Dating is hard, I get that. We make mistakes, we screw up, and things don't always go as planned. Even Hannah Montana sang a whole damn song called "Nobody's Perfect." However, you're still able to control your choices while dating, so make sure none of these toxic habits follow you into 2021 because they're all just as bad as 2020 was.

1. Aimless swiping

We all know that feeling of validation that comes from matching with a cute person on Tinder, but if you don't actually have an intent while swiping, is it even worth matching with someone? The answer is a big "hell no" because if you don't know what you want then you most likely lead them on or the conversation will end up fizzling out in about a week. Nobody wants a dry conversation, and nobody likes feeling like a joke, so figure out what the heck you want before you start racking up those matches.

2. Talking with someone just because they’re hot

I'd say that this is different than #1 because you can still swipe right on someone attractive after you've figured out your intentions, but if you and your match obviously have nothing in common or you just don't click then there's really no point in talking to them. I don't care how much they might look like Megan Fox or Timothee Chalamet, keeping a conversation going with someone just for their looks is a big no-no and we don't need that kind of energy in 2021. Looks aren't everything and neither are you, so get over yourself and start focusing on more than just a pretty face.

3. Dating for attention

Being with somebody means that you get more attention than you're used to, and that can be a very nice perk to having a relationship, but you should not date someone just for their attention. If you're one of those people who date for attention, then chances are you've got some mommy or daddy issues that need to be addressed. I'm no psychologist so I can't help with that, but I can tell you that dating won't fix the problems you have with other people in your life, so sort that shit out before you drag somebody else into your life in a feeble attempt to make yourself feel better.

4. Dating friend’s exes

I can't believe I have to say this shit, but I saw it happening more than I wanted to in 2020 so I hope that you stay far away from your friend's exes this year (and yes, I mean farther than 6 feet). I know that there are stories of people finding love with their friend's exes, but chances are that you will NOT be finding love that way, especially if your friend broke up with that ex because they were toxic. Read the signs, ladies, and gentlemen, because you deserve more than the person who was sleeping with your friend three months ago.

5. Having unrealistic expectations

Again, I feel like I shouldn't have to say this, but I heard soooo much stuff this past year from my friends about how they wished their S.O. would plan big surprises for them or buy them lavish gifts. It's true that surprises and gifts are awesome, but we aren't in a Hallmark movie. In fact, we're about as far from a Hallmark movie as we can get right now, so suck it up and remember that everyone is poorer than usual right now. I know that you spent half of quarantine watching The Bachelor and The Bachelorette but expecting hot people to cry over you every 5 minutes is extremely unlikely, so get your head out of the clouds before you start going on real dates again.

Take these five dating considerations while going into 2021 and best of luck.