Bad Days Call For Guidance Not Judgement

I pray and practice patience.
27

Today while I was walking on campus, a girl from her car, stopped at a red light and could be heard insulting people's appearances. As I got closer I just waited for my turn.

She loudly proclaimed that my hair was, "terrible" and, "why the f*** is she wearing duck boots, it’s not cold."

Now, I know everyone is guilty at some point of judging a book by the cover, but this situation was different. This girl was sitting in her car with her friend blasting music, and somehow, over the music, insulting everyone walking by her on campus. Now, to be honest, my initial thoughts on how to react included ugly gestures and curse words.

Then my mind went to Matthew 5:38-39, “38 You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth. 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.”

So I silently walked away.

I’ve prayed for patience recently and let me tell you the situations in which I needed patience came rolling in, including today. I only fuel the fire when I respond in hateful ways. It is so easy to throw up a gesture or let a word slip and feels good about it for a moment, but then once the initial moment is over you realize you could have handled it better. I hope that girl, whoever she is, learns that:

1. People can hear you when you scream at red lights with your windows down.

2. You have no idea what is going on in any of the lives of those you judge.

She doesn't know who is having a great day and who are having their worst day. What if, instead of insults, it had been encouragement? How different this article could have been.