Back-to-School 2020 Wellness Tips

Back-to-School 2020 Wellness Tips

The return to classes looks a little different this year.

36
Back-to-School 2020 Wellness Tips
Personal Photo

It's that time of year again; the time where we're typically surpassing syllabus week, overjoyed to be back with our friends and settling into a routine in your college town. However, that is not the case for everyone. With many classes being online or at least hybrid, things are far from normal. It's okay to feel overwhelmed.

We're living in a global pandemic, for goodness sake. Masks have become a daily accessory, and there are temperature checks at the entrances of buildings. I laugh at my Snapchat memories from a year ago; that Ali had no idea what was coming.

With all that being said, I would like to share some wellness tips that have kept me sane over the past 6 months.

1. Make time for breakfast each morning.

One bad habit I began to pick up once quarantine began was skipping breakfast. Because I was on a looser sleep and schoolwork schedule than normal, I began to disregard the most important meal of the day. (Which is really a shame, because breakfast food is the absolute best!) I have began to plan out my breakfast the night before, and it has helped me to get more excited about eating in the morning.

2. Buy a plant.

I am telling you, purchasing a plant is one of the most rewarding, yet simple things you can do. It's warming to watch a lifeform that you care for grow before your eyes, even if it's just a baby succulent. Plus, it brings an earthy aura to any room.

3. Pick up a new hobby.

If you've wanted to get into hiking, plan a hiking trip with your roommates this weekend. If you've thought about trying to up your cooking game, start cooking. If you've wanted to spend more time drawing, Now's the time. It's important to have a passion to direct your energy towards, especially as an escape from school.

4. Implement a mindfulness habit.

Whether it's yoga, prayer, meditation, journaling, or the like, implementing mindfulness into your daily routine is a remarkable contributor to good mental health. It can be as small as a morning prayer, or a nightly journal sesh. Whatever you have time for. Taking time to recognize and dwell on your thoughts is crucial.

5. Go to bed early.

Staying up late is so summertime, am I right? Sleep is so underrated. I feel a complete shift in my energy level, which contributes to both my mental and physical well-being, when I get that golden 7-8 hours of sleep. Too much, and I'm a zombie; too little, and I'm also a zombie. Regulating that sleep schedule will be the best thing you've ever done.

6. Get comfortable with nights in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a night out at the bars. However, something about standing around in a hot room inches away from my college peers without a mask in sight gives me bad vibes. A wine night with your roommates, for example, can be just as satisfying, and probably a lot less stressful. Not only is that the safer decision with COVID, but also a great way to recharge your battery after a long week.

7. Don't be too hard on yourself.

When you go through life with an understanding toward yourself, you begin to speak kinder to yourself. When you speak kinder to yourself, you feel better about yourself. Do what you can. As you've probably seen in countless emails, these are truly "unprecedented times".

This can be the fresh start you've been searching for; a time to grow and learn a little bit about yourself. I read in an email from my professor this morning a quote from Emily W. King, Ph.D., "Do not go into this school year with 2019 goals. This is 2020. Have 2020 goals. Safety. Connection. Mental wellness. Physical health. Maintain relationships."