Tyler C And Jed Didn't Ask Hannah B's Dad For His Blessing On 'The Bachelorette' Finale — And I Am So Proud

For many reasons...

83

*WARNING Spoilers ahead. But if you missed night 1 of 'The Bachelorette' Finale, are you even a fan?! Just kidding (sort of)*

I have been watching 'The Bachelor' and 'The Bachelorette' for as long as I can remember and one thing that hasn't changed throughout my long stint as a fan is that there's always something surprising — for better or most often worse. Broken hearts, toxic relationships that lasted far too long, secrets revealed by contestants' exes... you name it, it's probably happened.

This season, though, Bachelorette Hannah B's final two picks, Tyler C (ooh 😍) and Jed (ahh 😧), made me really proud. Because for one of the first times ever (if not the first time ever... I'd have to go back and review my Bachelor history notes), neither of the men asked for Hannah B's father's blessing when they met him.

Now, regardless of whether or not you believe in this tradition (no shame either way), this is a huge step for the ABC franchise. Here's why this is actually important for the show and maintaining at least a semblance of realism:

1. Hannah's dad knows virtually nothing about either of them.

For starters, it's important to point out that Hannah B's dad knows next to nothing about what Tyler C (perfect angel) and Jed have to offer. Other than Tyler's pirouettes and Jed's, well... dog food jingle. Giving a blessing at this point in the game would kind of defeat the purpose of the whole thing since he couldn't possibly have an answer after such a short time with them.

2. Nothing 👏is 👏traditional 👏about 👏 reality 👏television.

I'm sorry, but — putting all beliefs aside for a moment — trying to bring marriage traditions into a very nontraditional experience makes it kind of ridiculous.

3. If Hannah wants to follow the tradition, he can ask when he knows he's the one.

At this point in the game, Tyler and Jed are still competing for Hannah's heart. If they chose to follow this engagement tradition, doing so when there's still someone else in the picture would also be the opposite of traditional, so skipping the blessings here was a great call.

4. It's Hannah's decision, no one else's.

At the end of the day (if all goes smoothly, which seems pretty up in the air after those previews), Hannah hands out the final rose and accepts the proposal from her future husband. Not her dad, not the Instagram fans, or Twitter trolls... she does. Of course, the hope is that her family will support her choice, but in the end, it's her life, her happiness, and her family will love her no matter what.

5. It encourages conversation.

Because the franchise so often shows the men, whether they are a contestant or the Bachelor, asking for the father's blessing before they propose, it sets the tone for the behavior of every future man who goes on the show. Since Tyler C and Jed seem to have "broken" this cycle, it reopens this topic as a discussion instead of having them assume this is something everyone wants.

Should the next Bachelorettes and Bachelor contestants want their future husbands to ask their fathers for their blessings, then that's a conversation and decision they can make together. It's not a universal rule expected of all. And at the end of the day, what's important is not what everyone else wants, but what the couple wants. If that's a blessing, excellent! If that's too old school for them, no worries! The choice is theirs... or in this case, Hannah's.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.