Bachelor Breakdown: (Red) Flags On The Play

An Odyssey Panel Discussion of "The Bachelor" Season 24 Episode 4

2918

If you've been watching this season of "The Bachelor," you likely have A LOT of thoughts already. And you're not alone.

We put together a panel of viewers to recap and react to this week's episode, and let's just say their opinions are as enthusiastic as Hannah Ann at the first cocktail party.

Cutting To The Chase Rice Confession

What did you think of the way Victoria F. handled herself at the concert? Should she have told Peter what was going on right away, or was she smart to play it cool until the dinner date?

Stephanie – I think she did the best she could with what was thrown into her lap at the moment, I mean that would be awkward for anyone, right??? Waiting until the dinner date was def the right call because at the "private" concert there wasn't a private moment to do anything, let alone tell the guy you're on a date with that you're dancing to a song being sung by your ex.

Marisa – To be honest, I didn't love the way Victoria F. handled herself on this date before they even got to the concert. She continues to play such a timid, damsel in distress character whenever she's with Peter and I'd love to see her just be herself instead. But I absolutely think she should have told Peter about her past with Chase the MINUTE she saw him performing on stage. Watching her dance and kiss and SING ALONG while Peter had no idea what was going on was beyond cringeworthy.

Taylor – Honestly, I can't imagine literally ever being in a situation like this lol. And as much as I want to say she was wrong for waiting to tell Peter, I don't think I would have been able to break up a private concert where everyone was having fun and I was the center of attention to be like "hey Petey, BTW that's my ex" either. That said, I do think it would have been nice for her to have told Peter right after the concert instead of waiting until dinner. Perhaps a good time would have been, I don't know, somewhere between the end of the concert and the moment Peter finished talking to Chase. I can't even imagine the awkwardness of the whole thing, though, so I'm willing to cut Victoria F. some slack… in this situation ONLY.

Lily – UGH do not get me started on Victoria F. She has driven me absolutely bananas from day one, so I figured this date would be annoying (spoiler: it was). As far as the whole Chase Rice debacle is concerned, I think she should've laughed it off and made it a funny "what are the odds!" thing right away. When she waited to tell Peter, she turned it into an unnecessary scene and OH THE TEARS. I cannot with this girl. Looks like Chase dodged a bullet.

Playing To Win The Group Date Rose

Who would you name the Bachelor Bowl MVP?

Stephanie – The whole time I was going to say Shiann, but then Natasha came out of nowhere with having her back and letting her know that she would block any girl trying to slide in there, and that is refreshing to see. Although I do think that they should have gone into OT, that way it's only 7 girls fighting for time instead of 13, but that is part of the show. Mo' people, mo' drama.

Marisa – This is a tough call, but I've got to give it to Hannah Ann. She appeared to get the most beat-up during the game, and she handled it like a trouper. Plus, she stayed totally clear of all the group date drama (for once).

Taylor – Shiann was dominating the game, so she deserved the MVP title, 100 percent.

Lily – Maybe Shiann? She doesn't seem emotionally stable most of the time, but she wasn't half bad on the field.

Alayah Makes A Comeback

Who do you believe: Victoria P. or Alayah?

Stephanie – Last week I believed Victoria P. This week I am believing Alayah. Feeling like an emotional ping-pong ball. Ugh, so many trust issues RN! Side note: I didn't know that they could bring a contestant back after sending them home, like does that happen often???

Marisa – I cannot believe I'm saying this, but I DO NOT believe Victoria P. She claims she told Peter "her truth," but THE truth is that she went on a Vegas vacation with Alayah. There is no denying that Victoria lied to Peter when she told him they hardly knew each other. And her dramatic outburst later in the episode – "I don't want to talk to you right now!" "I don't want to sit!" – was embarrassing to watch.

Taylor – I honestly don't know that we are getting the full truth from any of the women at the moment, unfortunately.

Lily – As soon as Victoria P. said "my truth" multiple times, I became very suspicious. We don't need your truth, VP, we need THE truth! Going to Vegas with someone is not the same as spending "maybe three hours" with them throughout a pageant weekend — that's the reality. While it breaks my heart, it seems like Alayah won this one. Although are any of us actually winning in this chaotic mess? I definitely feel like I took the L by the end of the episode.

The Girls Have Gone Wild

Is Peter helping or hurting all the drama and hostility among the women?

Stephanie – Hurting, 100 percent, because he keeps saying that he does not like drama and yet he is the one creating the situations that end in the most drama.

Marisa – Peter is struggling HARD right now. It's not his fault that the women on this season are quick to point fingers and dive head-first into drama, but he has only made things worse. He needs to stop rewarding women for putting down other women and start shutting down all this name-calling and sh*t talking.

Taylor – Peter is definitely hurting the drama. He complains about not making decisions with his own heart/being influenced by people and then he will go and seek out answers. If he wants to truly make these decisions on his own he has to leave the women out of it. This continues the cycle of drama that pits everyone against one another and it won't end until he puts an end to it.

Lily – Peter is not very good at being the Bachelor. Sure, he's a sweet kid, but he doesn't seem to be handling much of anything well. If he's going to become involved in the drama, he needs to start sending the women responsible for it home. Instead, he's playing school counselor to a group of angsty 13-year-olds. Lay down the law, Pete!

A Toast To Kelsey's 1-On-1

Did your opinion of Kelsey change after hearing her story about her dad's departure?

Stephanie – Not really. I am mostly surprised the word "champagne" did not come up this whole conversation.

Marisa – I'm glad Kelsey got a chance to show Peter a softer side of her on this date, and I totally feel for her, but I'm still not convinced she's the right fit for our Bachelor.

Taylor – I think Kelsey's story made her significantly more relatable after the champagne-gate "finasco" because everyone has a story or struggle we can't possibly know about from first impressions. Overall though, I still don't think she's the one for Peter.

Lily – We learned valuable background information about Kelsey this episode, which did help soften my opinion of her. But I'm still traumatized from Champagne Gate, so Kelsey isn't sneaking into my top picks just yet.

Someone's Got To Go

If you had to pick 3 girls to get sent home in the upcoming rose ceremony, who would they be?

Stephanie – Alayah, hands down. I would say Hannah Ann, but she's probs going to be there until the very end. And I like most of the other girls, but then there are quite a few that we don't really know because of the aforementioned girls always filling up the screen.

Marisa – If I were the one handing out roses, Victoria F. and Victoria P. would be packing their bags. Why waste time on anyone who isn't entirely truthful? I'd also be saying "goodbye" to Shiann. She seems like a sweet enough girl, but anyone who wastes all of their time with the Bachelor complaining about not getting time with the Bachelor isn't right for this show.

Taylor – I'd have to say Victoria F., Victoria P., and Mykenna.

Lily – I'm going with Savannah, Kiarra, and Natasha. Which is a real shame, because I'll miss Natasha's snarky comments and Savannah and Kiarra seem so unproblematic. But unproblematic humans don't make good television.

Check out these breakdowns of past episodes:

Episode 2

Episode 3

Want to be a part of this panel in future weeks? Want to host a panel of your own? Email marisa.dipaolo@theodysseyonline.com for more information!