"Babysitting Is Not A Real Job"

"Babysitting Is Not A Real Job"

I will take my little ones over a cubicle any day.

8
"Babysitting Is Not A Real Job"
Personal

As I grow older, I realize that most people will tell me that going into the field of education is the worst mistake that I can make. There have been plenty of comments made that has really broke my heart, but only pushes me forward because criticizing someone only makes them better. Comments that have pushed me forward has been on the lines of "You aren't going to make much money" or "Why would you want to spend the rest of your life in school if you've already spent thirteen years there?"

It all first started out when I had the opportunity to become a big sister. I have always looked after my three little sisters, who aren't so little anymore, with many problems like getting bullied, boys not liking them back, or the simple teenage years. Anyone that knows me, knows that I adore little ones. I have helped keep the nursery at my church and I also help with the children's time at church with many little ones and it makes my heart really happy.

Becoming a babysitter in the previous summer was by far the best job that I have ever had. Getting to know someone on the level of when they are hungry, tired, confused, loved, happy, and many more emotions has shaped me into becoming a better person. I love toddlers and babysitting has strengthened my love for them. No, I do not get a weeks pay of $250 bucks a week. I do not get breaks throughout the day, while we are constantly on the go. I do not get to see my friends while they come visit me at a normal job of the grocery store or restaurant. I surely do not get to have lunch dates with my family and friends either, as they work late shifts...but I do get a lot out of it.

I get the feeling of being there for someone and knowing that someone else loves me. I get the feeling of excitement when Paw Patrol or Doc McStuffins comes on. I get the feeling of happiness when they are excited to get their nails painted or reading them a book. I love the feeling of having someone look up to me while they are growing into the young ladies and men that they will be. I love having someone say "when is the next time you can paint my nails" when I see them outside of my home. I get a low paycheck, but does that matter? No. It surely does not. I learned how to become a responsible adult by having them eat all of their meals, preparing me for motherhood, and being able to keep my patience when all else fails. I also get the feeling of hearing them say new words, teaching them how to do different things, and having a friendship that will last a lifetime.

I am preparing myself to learn how students function at eight in the morning, when they get hungry, when they need a nap, and when they are confused on their assignments. Babysitting has prepared me for that. Babysitting has also helped me prepare for the motherhood stage of taking them to the bathroom, feeding them, and being able to sit down and relax by coloring puppies on tv shows.

For those of you who put down education majors because of the pay that you get out of it, then you are money hungry. I will learn more characters of patience, comfort, and responsibility than you would working at your cubicle in your office all day.

I am so thankful for the memories with young ones and will continue to strive everyday so I can have a cute and full of love classroom.

I am sure you won't miss your job once you take a vacation or when you go off to college, but I will receive colorings of dinosaurs and notes on how much I am missed at mine.

Babysitting IS a real job and it takes a lot to be able to handle it.