Babysitting, When Done Right, Is So Much More Than Just Watching Someone Else's Kids

Babysitting is a job, and to do the best job you can, you have to be willing to put in the effort.

133

Babysitting is a great first job for high school and college students back home from break. There's no worry about taxes, hours are reasonable and you can make a decent amount of money. It also can be one of the most rewarding jobs when you put in the time and effort to be a good friend and role model to the kids. Babysitting is so much more than some people may think. Watching younger children provides experience that can be incredibly helpful in the future, especially if you're planning to have a family of your own. Here's a few things I've found to be the most important when babysitting!

1. Be Creative!

http://www.cbc.ca/stevenandchris/health/brain-boosters

Unlike some of us "older kids," younger kids still have wild imaginations. Give them the chance to explore and create. Spend a day outside looking for bugs and wild flowers. Even stay in and do crafts. You can paint, make friendship bracelets or take some Elmer's glue and make slime.

2. Stay Engaged!

www.timeout.com/chicago/kids/activities/testing-out-babysitter-services-in-chicago

As a babysitter, you are being paid to entertain and watch someone else child. Not sit on your phone all day. Some parents may allow their kids to spend hours on their devices, but most don't. They want their kids to play outside, read or just use their imaginations to stay busy. There is nothing wrong with looking at your phone every once in a while, but stay checked into reality. Don't just give the child legos, go play legos with them.

3. Don't Be A Control Freak.

www.memedroid.com/memes/tag/babysitting

If there is one thing I've learned in my many years of babysitting, is that if you start getting incredibly bossy and mean, the kids WILL NOT like you. Therefore, they will not listen to you. Yes, sometimes you have to put your foot down and play the "I may not be your mom or dad, but I am older than you" card. But keep it to a minimum if you want respect and to be liked.

4. Lastly, Be A Kid Yourself!

nypost.com/2015/07/15/adults-are-acting-like-kids-and-it-needs-to-stop/

The best way to get along with kids is to be a kid. Take advantage of the fact that your job is fun and you can bring back things you did when you were young. Join in when the kids start painting with their hands. Don't just sit there while they blow giant bubbles, go blow some bubbles yourself. Forget the thought of having to soon be an adult with an adult job and just enjoy yourself.