To My Baby Sister As She Starts High School

Just be yourself. Crush from afar. And if it turns into anything, I must approve of him first.
34

The second you walk through those doors, your world will change. High school is so much better than middle school, I will tell you that right off the bat. With every year from here on out, you will gain more freedom, more responsibility, and more of your personality.

A little hint for you: get involved.

I don’t care what clubs, sports, or organizations you are in because we are two different people, but be involved in something. It is the quickest and easiest way to create new friendships, and you will enjoy every second of it.

Being involved will also allow you to grow as a person.

You will learn time management and how to have control over your social life. Your knowledge will continue to grow with every day, and it will for the rest of your life. Try something new; try something you’ve always been great at. Every opportunity is an open door for something that will have meaning to you.

With that being said, know that I will support you in anything that you choose. If you play a sport, I will attend as many games as I possibly can. If it is an organization, tell me all about it and let me know if there are any events I should be there for. If it is a club, teach me about it.

Baby sis, you are the last one in the fam to get to experience high school, and as you know, we each have different feelings toward high school. But, I am here to tell you to make the most of it because it only happens once. (And these are the last years that mom and dad will baby you… hopefully).

Study hard for your classes. The habits you develop now will carry with you. Check your work, even when you feel like you’ve checked it time and time again… Do it again. Grades are important. Unfortunately, colleges base scholarships and acceptance off of them, so you want them to be as best as they can be.

When you feel like giving up, don’t. Work a little harder, read a little bit further, and study every day. It will pay off, and I will be there to encourage you along the way.

Now that you’re in high school, you get the luxury of going to homecoming and prom. Here are some tips for you: find your dress as early as possible. It will save you from having the same dress as anyone else and you will not be stressed as the date gets closer and closer.

If you don’t have a date, who cares! Dances are just as much if not more fun with just the girls than with a date. Don’t fret about this. Boys are stupid anyway.

Go with the flow on the big day. Some things may happen later than you expected, and there is no way you can control it. Just know that you will still have fun once you’re at the dance, so once again, do not fret. You are going to look beautiful, and I can’t wait to help you find your dress, do your makeup, and fix your hair.

Speaking of dates, as your older sister, I feel like I am inclined to tell you that you do not need boys. BUT you truly don’t at this age.

What are the odds that those relationships actually work? Very slim. I used to see way too many girls get their hearts broken from high school relationships, and as you know, I am one of them.

Relationships put a lot more stress on you than you already have. I’m not here to tell you don’t date because that’d be silly. I’m just warning you that there is no need for guy attention.

Just be yourself.

Crush from afar. And if it turns into anything, I must approve of him first.

Participate in spirit weeks. Go all out for your school. Spirit week is one of the best weeks of the year, and it’s okay to look like a fool (just as long as you are going with the theme).

If you take it to the extreme, you may become the talk of the school… which is definitely a good thing because that means you’re fun and confident.

But seriously, don’t be scared to actually have crazy hair (not just braids) on crazy hair day or to wear a robe, slippers, and carry around a stuffed animal on jammie day. Make the most of every opportunity.

I know you are going to do great things and make such a difference in all of your friends’ lives. Always remember that God is walking by your side, and He always will be there for you. Get in the habit of saying silent prayers of thankfulness and nervousness because He hears it all.

I pray you enjoy high school just as much as I did (which was A LOT!), if not more. You’re going to have the time of your life. Make lots of friends. Study hard. And hold on tight to your next four years.

I love you baby sis.

Xoxo,

Your big sis